Builder did a real number on my toilet. Need help please.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturner

Reaction score
My house was built in 2001, and I bought it from the original owner in 2005. My wife and I wanted to replace the lino with some better tiles in the bathroom, so we pulled up the toilet to find that the builders did not correctly adapt the toilet flange to the drain pipe. There is about 1.5 inches of offset to the left of the hole for the tube vs the flange. Instead of relocating the pipe correctly, they shaved the flange, tack-welded the bolt for the toilet, and soldered up the gaps between the drain pipe and the flange.

I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about.
The right bolt is tack-welded in place. All the white/silver stuff is solder. The dark gray (just before the purple) is the metal tube, and the purple is the glue dripping down the PVC pipe inside the foundation. And obviously, the yellow/brownish stuff is the last bits of wax I have yet to clear off.

Of note, I've pulled toilets before, and never have seen as much wax used as they did on this one. I removed probably 2 - 2.5 lbs of wax from the toilet and the floor.

My question is this: Is there anything, outside of hiring a plumber to cut the foundation and rebuild the whole thing correctly, that I can do to stabilize the toilet (it rocked slightly which I think caused it to leak) and ensure the toilet won't start leaking again with a new wax seal withing the next few years?

Dsc03508e.jpg

Dsc03517-e.jpg

That's some hack job. The do make offset flanges for that situation, although I don't particularly like them. Moving the pipe is the best solution. But it may not be practical in your case. Your best bet is to call a qualified plumber and let him make the decision to use a offset flange or not. Here is a link to the flange I'm referring to. It's the 2nd one down on the page.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html

john

Back