Broken Watts 1/4 Turn Shutoff Valve Handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha Mark

Reaction score
This is a long story of a repair I put off for several years. One of my Kohler pedestal sink faucets (Symbol) leaked from one of its built-in hoses. The mounting plate was rusted badly and made it difficult to remove the faucet. Since I could not find an identical faucet until recently, I closed the hot and cold Watts shutoff valves in 2018. This morning Mr. Ace procrastinator installed a replacement faucet I located after a long search. Guess what happened when I attempted to turn on 2 Watts valves to feed the shiny new Kohler faucet? Friggin' handles broke on both valves. What are the odds of something like this happening? Here's a photo of the inside of one of the handles.

watts_valve_handle_sheared.jpg

Looks like poorly cast metal that sheared off. I had to use a 13/64" ignition wrench to to turn each shutoff valve. Where do I get new handles which will work in this application? Wife suggests buying new valves and just cannibalizing the handles. I would rather just tape a wrench to the wall, since the entire plumbing setup is hidden inside the pedestal.

Crap pot metal and bad luck.
Watts should be ashamed but are not.
Not worth any further effort other than doing what your bright wife suggests.
Alternative is to use the best stops available, made by Dahl.

Back