Broken septic tank inlet tee

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorka

Reaction score
Had a septic service come out and pump my tank today so I could inspect. No issues except that the guy that pumped it broke the inlet tee. The old tee extends 16 inches below the water line and the one they put on there to replace it is just a rubber tee with a steel bands to tighten it around the broken PVC inlet. It only extends about 4" below the water line which isn't even all the way through a normal 6" scum layer.

I'm thinking this is really not ideal. First, the worm gear metal bands seem like they'd rust all the way through. Secondly, the length extending below the scum layer seems like it must have been that length for a reason. The owner of the company claims one they put on there is better and that the poop won't go so deep now before it rises to the scum layer.

I'm super skeptical and don't believe this is correct.

Inlet T’s are not as important as outlet T’s. They are supposed to go down 16” and outlets 17”. This makes them equal in depth and help not agitate the solids with high water usage. Also good t’s reduce clogs and help water flow if you haven’t pumped for a long time. Next time you pump I’d go with a different company and have them fix the t. It is also important to fix inlet t’s without pipe inserts or rubber Ferncos cause they could cause clogs in the future or fall off. Hope this helped!

Back