Brass Drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOGGY

Reaction score
Kids! Don't you just love 'em. I spend more time working at their house than I do on my own.

Anyway No.4 daughter lives on the 4th floor of a high rise in Toronto and just had me connect a new dishwasher for her. But under her sink all drain pipes are brass and the branch tailpiece for the dishwasher drain has partially separated and is leaking.

I know codes differ from one location to another but I was wondering if there is generally a code prohibiting an ABS drain from connecting to a brass drain in Hi-rise condos due to fire concerns. Or is ABS alright as long as it doesn't run through the floor?

And if a brass fitting is required and has to be soldered, is this a job
an amateur could tackle?

Hoggy

I'm in Nova Scotia...nothing in the plumbing code dictates that, but it's each provinces building code. Where I'm at, ABS is permitted inside cabinetry as long as PVC/XFR or copper is inside the walls and fire stopped.

You will fall into Ontarios code, and most of their codes are off the walls. You should check with a local before you proceed with any work.

if you were to install a metal sleeve around the pipe as it exits the wall
with the plastic pipe centered in the sleeve.
and have 1/2'' of annular space between pipe and sleeve

fill sleeve with an approved fire stop materal it would meet fire codes

D0024.jpg

Thanks for the replies and good advice. I DID check with a local plumber who said the ABS was legal in this case but the inspectors frowned on it. I'm going ahead with the ABS anyway but will use a metal sleeve as you suggested ,Frodo.

Much obliged.

Back