Bradford White Eco Defender Status Light....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenman4711

Reaction score
Hi All,

New here. Hoping to get some more definitive info regarding an issue I'm having with a Bradford White Model# URG140T6N.
Last week I noticed the status light was no longer blinking so I thought I had to relight the unit. So, followed the procedure to do it and heard the click indicating the pilot light was lit and held it down but still no light. Kept on pressing the igniter but no light. Finally, just went ahead and released the knob from Pilot and turned the knob/dial to hot and heard the unit engage (whoosh). So, unit is lit (I can see the flame) but still no status light. Water is hot but not nearly as hot as before. Thinking back now, the hot water has gotten progressively weaker (meaning I can run the shower with only 1/4 turn of the cold water to keep the water hot whereas before could run more cold water for more water pressure).
So, are we looking at a bad thermopile/pilot assembly or a bad Honeywell Gas Control Valve?

Thanks for any all help.

Thanks. So not enough millivolts getting to the valve to operate it?
I doubt that’s the problem but I’m not certain. I would suspect a bad valve. With low millivolts the valve should shut down.

Either way, the valve isn’t working correctly. Replace the thermocouple or thermopile which ever the case may be AND the control.

It might be smarter to replace the entire heater if it’s out of warranty.

Some of the controls are north of $350, I’m not sure what yours would cost.

Bradford part for the Honeywell Valve Control is packaged with the pilot/thermopile assembly. Cost is anywhere from $325 - $400. It is out of warranty but only 7 years old or so…

Thanks for all your help/info.

If you can’t install the parts yourself then no way I’d go down that road.

If you can install the parts then you probably could replace the heater yourself. At $400 your half way there. It’s a toss up I guess. Good luck 👍

Back