Boiler Safety Valve Leakage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryd4110

Reaction score
My friend's hot water Burnham boiler was leaking from the safety valve. When I first looked at it, the pressure was just over 30 psi, so I assumed the valve was doing its job. All I needed to do was find out if it was the boiler feed valve or expansion tank was bad. When I went back to work on it, the safety valve was not leaking and the pressure was lower. But since it had been leaking for a long time, we decided to replace both the expansion tank, feed valve and safety valve. But the safety valve is still leaking periodically. I am wondering if the expansion tank is too small (2 gal) even though the boiler supposedly worked with the same size for years. The boiler is rated at 40,000 BTU. Any suggestions please?

My friend's hot water Burnham boiler was leaking from the safety valve. When I first looked at it, the pressure was just over 30 psi, so I assumed the valve was doing its job. All I needed to do was find out if it was the boiler feed valve or expansion tank was bad. When I went back to work on it, the safety valve was not leaking and the pressure was lower. But since it had been leaking for a long time, we decided to replace both the expansion tank, feed valve and safety valve. But the safety valve is still leaking periodically. I am wondering if the expansion tank is too small (2 gal) even though the boiler supposedly worked with the same size for years. The boiler is rated at 40,000 BTU. Any suggestions please?
go to this link, answer the questions

http://www.supplyhouse.com/pex/control/ExpansionTankSizeCalculator

101-1
Extrol #15 Tank (Sku: 101-1)

Back