Best value tub/shower valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GymBag

Reaction score
As I have posted in my original thread, I'm in the process of a bathroom renovation and since the valve for the tub & shower could turn endlessly, I'm replacing it.

I don't want to break the bank, so I'm looking for a good value, but I also want to be able to replace parts when the need arises. While I plan to sell the house soon, I don't like the idea of sticking someone with problems just because I didn't want to spend the extra five bucks.

I have a Moen kitchen faucet and it has only gone a few years between ball/O-ring replacements, even though it's not treated badly and our water supply is good/clean.

What is the consensus for Moen, Delta, etc? I can buy a Delta 132900-132900-A for $89 before rebate. Should the replacement cartridge cost $65?

I have started to like Delta better now. They just have good stuff. For example, they make an integrated diverter valve that is pre-connected to a shower valve to help make rough-ins easier/better. And the quality is good. That said, I absolutely love the old Moen posi-temp for simply showers like my small bathroom near my pool. It's freaking bullet proof as long as you use genuine OEM moen catridges. But for more complicated or feature-rich shower or faucet valves/components...I like Delta.

Cool- I can buy a Posi-Temp for less than $100 at Menard's. This is really a budget job, but it will add to the selling price of the house since it will be so much better than what was there before. SOOO many problems needed to be fixed.....absolutely amazing, how bad work is done and left for others to deal with.

Do I absolutely need anything for air hammer? The existing valve didn't have anything and it was never a problem. I did install them in the basement when I re-plumbed the laundry area, though.

I have watched a lot of videos of shower/tub valve installs and they all showed the pipes being sweated in, rather than using threaded fittings, which are included on the valve. If pipe dope is used, do I really need to worry? I have seen soldered connections leak after 40 years so that obviously would be based on technique, but a tapered fitting and pipe dope shouldn't leak, am I right?

Cool- I can buy a Posi-Temp for less than $100 at Menard's. This is really a budget job, but it will add to the selling price of the house since it will be so much better than what was there before. SOOO many problems needed to be fixed.....absolutely amazing, how bad work is done and left for others to deal with.

I just installed a Moen valve and I like it. I installed another Moen valve a year ago and no problems yet. We also have the same Moen valve in a 3rd shower (apparently, Moen has made this valve for a long time) and it worked okay but turned a little hard so I replaced the cartridge and it’s fine now. It is probably 20 years old.
Do I absolutely need anything for air hammer? The existing valve didn't have anything and it was never a problem. I did install them in the basement when I re-plumbed the laundry area, though.

I didn’t do anything for air hammer and it is fine.

I have watched a lot of videos of shower/tub valve installs and they all showed the pipes being sweated in, rather than using threaded fittings, which are included on the valve. If pipe dope is used, do I really need to worry? I have seen soldered connections leak after 40 years so that obviously would be based on technique, but a tapered fitting and pipe dope shouldn't leak, am I right?

I used brass fittings to expansion Pex. I used Teflon tape on the threads.

IMG_5634.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

I like this a lot, good job. Simple but effective and end result looks good to me. I might do something like this when I remodel my small bathroom by the pool. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back