Bathtub valve id

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm brand new to the forum. I have installed my own toilet and sink in the past and hope to be of some help to others. At first I'm looking to see if anyone can identify this valve brand, and maybe let me know how to remove it since its leaking. Thanks in advance.

By the way it's a house I'm moving into so I'm not responsible for how dirty that thing is :)

image-246296111.jpg

I hope this helps some other. What I found is that this is a mown brand, and you have to pull the metal outer sleeve off to get at the inner cartridge. There is a metal pin you have to remove by pulling it up in order to pull the cartridge out. I will take pictures and post when I remove this. Thanks.

It is a Moen and if you call there 800# they will send you a new cartridge free of charge. You are correct on how to access it. Just be sure the water is off.

John

Last edited:
Thanks although I need it done ASAP so I'm going to just buy the new cartridge. Any idea what do do if the sleeker seems stuck it's the outer metal thing in the above picture I'm not sure what to call it.

You won't have any trouble removing the chrome peace, it just pulls off. You may have a problem removing the cartridge but they do have a puller for that. Also keep in mind that may of the cartridges that are sold in big box stores are after market and there have been some problems with them. If you get it from Moen you can be sure it's OK. You will have it in a week if you call them.

John

Cool. I got the decorative plate off I was referring to the circular metal tube outer shell thing pictured above. Don't I have to slide that off to get at the metal pin to pull It up to make it so I can pull the cartridge out.

So I got the sleeve off the valve and it was not too bad. Then I removed the pin and last pulled out the valve. Here are the pieces.

image-2965229988.jpg

johnjh2o said:
Good job. If after you get the new stem in and the hot and cold a back wards then remove the handle and rotate the stem 180 degrees.

John

I've learnt that one on my own from experience :p

Inspect the inside of the valve before putting the new cartridge back in. If it' scaled or pitted really bad it will damage the o-rings on your new cartridge. I use a product called Santeen. Get mine at ACE but it's available probably at other locations. WEAR safety glasses and gloves when using it and keep it away from the Chrome. It will discolor anything with chrome/nickle. I just use a squirt bottle and use it sparingly with a brass bottle brush. Rinse it well after this treatment. Re-inspect the barrel of the valve, if it's really damaged then consider replacing the valve. Otherwise you might be replacing those cartridges often due to the o-rings and seals being damaged.

I also lube the new cartridge and the valve barrel up well with plumbers grease to help not damage the o-rings and seals.

Good luck

mtexplorer said:
Inspect the inside of the valve before putting the new cartridge back in. If it' scaled or pitted really bad it will damage the o-rings on your new cartridge. I use a product called Santeen. Get mine at ACE but it's available probably at other locations. WEAR safety glasses and gloves when using it and keep it away from the Chrome. It will discolor anything with chrome/nickle. I just use a squirt bottle and use it sparingly with a brass bottle brush. Rinse it well after this treatment. Re-inspect the barrel of the valve, if it's really damaged then consider replacing the valve. Otherwise you might be replacing those cartridges often due to the o-rings and seals being damaged.

I also lube the new cartridge and the valve barrel up well with plumbers grease to help not damage the o-rings and seals.

Good luck

I believe plumbers grease will deteriorate the rubber/neoprene. Silicone lubricant is probably your best bet for any neoprene. At least from what I know. I've never used grease on o rings just silicone lubricant myself

Your right, my apologies, Sometimes they will provided a small tube of silicone grease with the cartridge. The grease I use is silicone based, I should have provided that info, again sorry

M

Good luck

I would not use chemical (Santeen) to clean the inside of the valve, the valve is connected to your domestic water

The cartridge cane pre greased or atleast it felt likely. All is now working leak free. Thanks for everyone's help.

image-3447012023.jpg

image-1045937494.jpg

toasteronwheels said:
The cartridge cane pre greased or atleast it felt likely. All is now working leak free. Thanks for everyone's help.

I can't spell on this iPhone. Came pre greased or atleast it felt like it. That's what I meant to say.

That's good advice. For the do-it-your-self-er this could be hazardous. When I use this method to clean the barrel of the valve it's always done if it's an extreme case of scaling. I always turn on the water supply slightly and run copious amounts of water through the valve. Santeen will ruin the cartridge if all the chemical isn't flushed out of the valve. There are other products that are safer to use for the homeowner, but they don't work as effectively and are slow to clean all the scale out of the valve. So I guess I should include a disclaimer and waring about using descalers when servicing any domestic water fixture in the future. Been a plumber for a long time, haven't been a writer for very long, still learning

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback

M

Back