Bathtub tied into small washing machine water supply?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony92280

Reaction score
*preface*I do not know much about plumbing, but would love to hear opinions and advice for what to do in this situation...call a plumber is the obvious, but money is tight at the moment. I do not plan on fixing this myself also...just looking for opinions on how much it would cost to fix and how big of an issue this is....thx

I recently bought a house. There is a bathtub that was added into the already existing bathroom in the basement....1/2 bath originally. The previous owners said the work was done by a relative(brother) who is a plumber(unlikely in my opinion). I believe his workmanship is to blame for my problems.

*on a side note*I recently had the water pressure regulator valve professionally replaced...due to extremely high water pressure. I tried to adjust the old one and nothing seemed to change. The plumber said I needed a new one. So he installed one.

Back to the problem at hand. The bathtub on the first floor leaks from the nozzle not the handle or showerhead. I replaced the handles along with the stem-valves. This leak only stops when I shut off the water to the house, plus turn on the the bathtub in the basement. I have to do both.

If I turn on the basement bathroom tub when main water is shut off, water runs at fairly steady pace and continues; it doesn't stop. Same for the upstairs.

What I have figured out so far is that when they installed the bathtub, they tied into the cold water pipe(the smaill one) that feeds the washing machine. Possibly the hot water also. The pipes are only partially drywalled over the connections. But i can follow the cold water until it goes vertically down. The unexposed portion is only a few feet. I shut off the house water, not the main. Every cold water tap in the house is off except the tub and the washing machine. Both are only seperated by drywall.

I am talking about the tiny copper pipe; not the larger one.

Also, they must use the same drain...b/c the bathtub backs up when the washing machine runs if bathtub drain is left open.

Hope you can follow what I am saying. thx

fairly recent changes in the code dont allow for a washin machiene to be tied into a branch serving another fixture, what happens is when the machiene discharges into the line a high pressure area is made by the suds and can back up into other fixtures, such as you are experiencing with the tub backup. there is not really an easy way to eliminate this problem, i would suggest at least once a week filling the tub completely and draining ( maybe take a bath in it ) this will hopefully keep the drain free of blockages that can occur from the suds condensing after foaming and leaving residue on the inside of the dwv piping. So far as the fixtures continuing to run after the main is closed you have either a valve that is bypassing ( check to see if the meter spins when you open the fixture after closing the main ) or you are simply getting flow from what pressure and head pressure remains in the piping after the main is shut.. how long does it continue to run for ?

The leaking spout is likely due to sediment on the inside of the seat on the shower/tub valve body, changing the cartridge is a good start but go further and inspect the inside of the valve body, are there deposits where the cartridge o-rings meet the housing ? also look for thin lines ( called wire drawing ) on the cartridge and body, this is due to water bypassing and eroding a channel, if this is present then replacement of the rough-in ( shower valve body ) valve will be required to stop the leaking.

Does it leak only a little at a time ?? If so then you are likely getting by pass due to thermal expansion. Water expands as its heated and the pressure must go somewhere, this is usually present periodically and often observed at night by light sleepers. it the hot water tank firing when this leaking is present ?? if so a expansion tank on the Domestic water will solve the problem.

price.... that depends on where you are located and just what the problem is.

I hope I'ev adressed the problems you are experiencing, let me know if Im on the track or Waaay off regardless, others on this site will attempt to offer insight as well and generally we are a pretty usefull and friendly bunch here.

:)

Liquid pretty much said everything I would have said.

From your description, I would say that the main water shutoff valve is not sealing completely, and that the upstairs bathtub valve very likely has an issue with aseat or the valve body itself needing replacing.

There are a variety of ways that the drain for the added bathtub could have been tied in to the existing drainage system that could cause the backup problem you describe, or it could be just a slightly clogged drain.

This would be a hard one to even make a guess at price, without a detailed onsite inspection of your situation.

258ypma.jpg

Here is a picture of what i replaced in the upstairs bathtub on both the hot and cold. The leak is a steady stream; not a drip. I am pretty sure it is pressure related issue....b/c the pressure in that bathroom and the one in the basement is much higher than the master bath and kitchen sink...even after the replacement of the pressure regulator.

Also, I have shut the main off and the leak continued for at least 15 min...then I turned the main on without seeing if the leak would stop. However if I shut the main off open the downstairs tub...the leaks stops upstairs but starts downstairs....with main water on leaks is only present upstairs...in one bathroom...master bathroom and downstairs not effected.

The bathtub was tied into the washing machine line not the other way if there was any confusion on that matter. Pretty sure that both share the same drain...but that is really the least of my worries...as long as bathtub drain is closed...water from washing machine will not back up...but I forgot to mention is also raw sewage that backs up...not just dirty laundry water.

Thanks for the help guys...much appreciated.

Last edited:
I think I have found the cause of the problem....debris getting into the water pipes....

the water company recently fixed a water main break in our front yard....there are leaves and debris by the water meter in the front yard...I imagine it has gotten into our homes pipes...now how do I fix the problem myself(backflush the pipes) or how much to have a plumber do it?

I can't locate any online guides for information on doing it yourself...any suggestion much appreciated...I think I should give it a go before paying a fee to a plumber...if the problem persists then I will go to plan B...thx again

Latest posts

Back