Bathtub Drain Plate Won't Come Off!!! Ugh!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nide0006

Reaction score
Hi All -

I would really appreciate any help solving my plumbing related issue. I was hoping this was going to be simple based on the 60 second youtube videos but of course it's not.

Basically I am trying to replace the drain plate (I think that's the term) as it's pretty gross and old. It's rusting and chipping off as shown on the attached image. However, this thing simply wont come off.

I went to home depot and bought one of those special tools that provides leverage to twist it off but it doesn't budge. When I twist on it, the drain pipe (behind the wall that I have access to) twists but nothing budges. We tried heating it with a blow dryer, adding lubricant, etc. nothing. I also confirmed that there isn't a nut holding the plate in place.

One thing to note is that it looks like the tub was recently sprayed / refinished as it looks brand new. I'm not sure if that's caused this plate to be stuck on.

Any ideas on how I can get this thing off without calling a plumber? Thank you.

Dustin

20180329_113545.jpg

you can just buy the strainer cover that would cover what in the picture...

if you want to take the drain apart you can use that tool at home depot or try 2 screwdrivers and grab them with pliers....
you do realize that what your replacing comes in a (waste and over flow kit ) there are many more parts than what you want replaced

the tool you bought...has a 4 way cross on it....use a small wrench... some times those parts have to be cut off

i think if i were you i would try a strainer cover its possibly a gerber you could buy just a handful of machine thread screws and see which fits then find a strainer cover.....the screw must be stainless
if you don't understand you may want to look at a waste and over flow kit ....even if you remove the top part whatever you thread in has to have matching threads

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure I completely follow. I do eventually want to replace the rest of the shower parts (e.g. shower head, handle, etc.) but am currently focused on the drain as my wife takes baths a lot and the rust keeps coming off. A stra

I bought a new "pop up" drain that comes with (2) parts. Part #1 is the pop-up part that screws in and part #2 is this plate. I'm struggling with replacing it. When I unscrewed the cover behind my bathtub it looks like all the piping is brand new PVC so I don't want to replace any of that.

I tried both using two screw drivers with a plier and got the home depot tool. No luck. Any other recommendations? I'm using A LOT of force.

Honestly, take it apart under the tub. If it's a waste and overflow kit that's pvc. Should only have a few compression nuts to loosen. Along with taking the face plate off of the tub. That strainer is looking worn and should just be replaced. As long as you find something with the same thread pattern as the "drain". If you can get the strainer off, just thread a new one on. I know it sounds easier said than done. If all else fails, consider just replacing the tub, waste and overflow part. Should be simple if the ENTIRE drain line is pvc.

Also, if you got the rigid multi tool that is meant for tub strainers. Put some channel locks on it and see if you can break the strainer loose. Very unlikely, I usually end up breaking the cross in the strainer. Can try and saw on the inside of the strainer, being VERY, VERY, VERY careful not to hit the threads of the "drain" or the tub and pulling the strainer out.

carefully slice the flange twice.
Try not to cut to deep into shoe threads.
peel out the slice.
then peel out the shoe.
took these awhile back.
was going to make a how to thread but never did.

2016-11-29 004 (640x480).jpg

2016-11-29 006 (640x480).jpg

2016-11-29 014 (640x480).jpg

2016-11-29 018 (640x480).jpg

2016-11-29 026 (640x480).jpg

Nice mr David that’s how a pro does it, i been using a handheld power sawzall,and am always scared of scratching the tub surface, I’ll try this from now on

I've done it with a sawsall, but when the blade reciprocates a bet to short and the tip slams into the face of the flange it's an eye opener for sure.

If they are screwed into plastic shoes the usually will turn out with a wrench.
It's the brass in brass that I have to peel out.

But here's the big OOPS!! That brass get's weak and it's a good bet that the tubular tube coming out of the shoe breaks. :eek::eek: :(:(
Now you have a big problem.
MAKE SURE THEY WERE WARNED BEFORE YOU TRIED.

I hate replacing that drain trim.

here's another option. I've seen them in place, but never installed one.
they work pretty cool.
the stopper just flips like a butterfly valve.

Just a little silicone and you just set it right on top of existing flange.

Watco NuFit PresFlo Tub Stopper

Back