bathroom vents

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberman

Reaction score
I bought a new house and with unfinished basement. The basement is plumbed for one bathroom do I need a vent because there isn't a vent to hook into. And if I what a second bath room what about vents there also.

Thanks

I could take a picture of how it is laid out or do you mean a blue print.

There is a vent going out of the roof that is connected to the main sewer lines.

Let me know if you need more pictures

100_1430_2.jpg

Are you looking for a 1/2 or full bath? The large pipe is for a toilet and it looks like they planed to have a wall running from the back wall over the two smaller lines. One of those two lines is the vent for the toilet. It needs to run through the roof or tie into the main vent in the attic. The other line could be for a shower or tub vent. The thing I don't see is a boxed out area in the floor for the tub or shower trap.

John

It can still be done it will just require cutting some concrete. Try tapping around the smaller lines the box may be there with a skim coat of concrete over it.

john

I know what you mean by vent but what are to talking about when you say look for a box

If it was set up for a shower or tub then there would have been a box placed in the floor at the location were the trap for the tub or shower would have to go. There may be a thin layer of concrete over the box.

In regards to my previous post there was one before mine that must have been deleted giving you advice about a bath exhaust fan.

John

I will check that out this morning. Yeah I didn't see the post about the exhaust fan but I have bought everything for that.

I believe what johnjh20 is talking about is when the plumbing is roughed in under the slab. What we do is run the drain pipe over to the location of the tub trap. Then we is stall a box around it and fill it with sand. When they pour the concrete there is only a 1/2" or 1" thick of concrete over the box. This allow easy location and you dont need a jack hammer. Use a reguar claw hammer and tap around the area where you believe the box is. There will be a differece in the sound of the hammer over the box compared to the rest of the concrete which is 4" to 6" thick.

You say you bought the home newly built, yes? If so you may want to look around between the floor joists above the general area where the plumbing is stubbed up through the floor. On new construction, whenever we roughed in slab plumbing for future use, we would always stub down a vent in the basement ceiling with a cap on it. This would already be tied into the existing vent system. Just a thought before ya go killing yourself trying to run vents through a finished home.

a BOX, sometimes made out of 2x4 or 2x6 and embedded into the cement, this is for your tub Rough in.

Back