Bathroom Sink Shut off Valves - which are best?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager to learn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tried researching for independent, objective advice re: which are better shut off valves - ¼ turn valves or kind Angled Fixture Shutoff Valve found under Number 4 like the one here 7 Different Types of Water Shutoff Valves and How to Choose One which resembles the ones I have now but I find just sales info.

I'm not sure when you know it's time to replace a shut off valve.

Is it when you can’t turn a valve handle anymore? Or that it's starting to rust?

I have one valve on 2 bathroom sinks which are hard to turn now.

I thought Id replace them all but someone said you can damage pipes when you replace shut off valves and then are you experienced d in fixing water pipes?

No, I'm not a plumber.

Thank you for your constructive advice.

I have some experience with old valves for sinks and bathrooms here in Florida. First rule is never touch a very old one unless you have to. The old ones seem to leak once I try to shut them off or open them more. And always make sure you can turn the water off to your whole house or condo before you begin a project or even test if the valve closes. Then, the rest is easy, just take your time. I prefer soldered on valves to the compression fitted valves. But.... you then risk fire inside the wall so you once again have to have a plan and pay a lot of attention.

Can you share pictures of it please here and then we can help more like someone said?

Nothing wrong with the 1/4 turn soldered on valves. I actually like the quality of the ones at Ace, they are quite heavy brass and chome plated. Other guys prefer compression fittings then you risk no fire and damage from torch. Pictures will help of yours though.

I agree with Rick, but some thoughts as a homeowner.

We never turn the valves unless we have an issue. By this time, the seals have failed and we have a disaster or irritation on our hands. I've read we should put it on regular maintenance every 6/12 months to cycle the cutoffs.

I have never heard of turning the valves and damaging pipes.

Valve quality - as consumers, we never know when a supplier (Lowe's, HD, etc) is going to change their specs. This falls under you pay your money and take your chances. This applies to roofs, furnaces, appliances.. don't over think it.

I prefer quarter-turn valves for sinks and toilets. I'm going to want them either fully on or fully off, no point messing around with multiple turns. Outdoor hose bibs are a different story...usually I want to finesse the flow from outdoor hose bibs.

The problem I see most with 1/4 turn fixture stops is that the o ring packing leaks and there’s no repair for it.

I prefer a serviceable fixture stop.

The problem I see most with 1/4 turn fixture stops is that the o ring packing leaks and there’s no repair for it.

I prefer a serviceable fixture stop.
I learn a lot from you. I never thought of this but I like the idea of serviceable because you are correct that if my 1/4 soldered on valves fail, I have to either cut the copper pipe short or heat the solder and pull the valve off and then spend too much time sanding the pipe for next one.

Can you please show me a picture of a a serviceable fixture stop so I can try those next?

I learn a lot from you. I never thought of this but I like the idea of serviceable because you are correct that if my 1/4 soldered on valves fail, I have to either cut the copper pipe short or heat the solder and pull the valve off and then spend too much time sanding the pipe for next one.

Can you please show me a picture of a a serviceable fixture stop so I can try those next?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...V5AKtBh3fpA3HEAQYCyABEgI5CfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsFor my Gold customers, I take these apart and grease the stem and packing with silicone grease and replace the washer with a high quality washer from wolverine brass.

That’s what I have in my house and they’ve been their 25 years. I replaced all the washers and packing at the 15 yr mark and re-greased. The packing were still good and most of the washers were too at 15 yrs but I serviced them all anyway.

We have excellent water quality.

They all work like new. 👍

Last edited:
Not all quarter turn stops are built equally.

There are better grades out there but none are serviceable that I know of.

Now I will leave you with this…….

Who’s team are you on……you must CHOSE.

Not all quarter turn stops are built equally.

There are better grades out there but none are serviceable that I know of.

Now I will leave you with this…….

Who’s team are you on……you must CHOSE.

Ah I see. Thank you! Now I know why someone installed an old valve for my hose bib outside my house that has those nuts where you can tighten or loosen. At first I thought it's annoying that it leaked and I had to tighten it but now I realize it's serviceable. It's soldered on at the end but you can remove parts of it.

Back