Bathroom Addition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summiteer

Reaction score
I'm adding an addition to our house that will have a bathroom in it. I drew up a design that I think will work for the drainage and venting but I was wanting to check on here to make sure it looks good.

I'm mainly concerned about the wye, the tee, and the distance from the drains to the vent and if everything looks acceptable.

After the sewer line leaves the house it will tie into our existing line in the backyard.

Let me know what you think, Thanks

-Jeremy

Sewer Design.jpg

I believe you will have a problem with the lack of vent lines. Since I am weak in this area, I will reserve any other comments, and let some of PF's experts chime in momentarily.

That's what I'm really wondering about. From the information I have read so far though, when using a 4" line there can be up to 10' from the drain to the vent and on a 2" line there can be up to 5' from the drain to the vent.

Here is a link to one of the sources: Home Tips : Sizing Drain-Waste-Vent (DWV) Pipes

I am under the belief that the toilet and shower lines must each have a vent pipe, or at least share one between them, depending on the distance. I'm certain you will receive the correct information when the experts chime in.

I hope that's the case, then all I would have to do is run a vent from the sink into the wall and then tie that into the main vent. I'm hoping I can leave the drain/vent for the toilet and shower as it is

Use a 4"x 2" combination wye and 1/8 bend fitting to branch off for the sink. Then, as you mentioned, run a vent out of the top of the sanitary tee for the sink drain back to the main vent. Your distances are all OK. Since I tend to do things a little old school, I would branch off of the shower draub arm and run back to the sink, but particularily with the piping being oversized as it is, you should be fine.

Please note, that I can only say that this is OK with the code that is in effect in my area. Code requirements vary widely, and enforcement and "inspector preference" plays a large role as well.

Back