Basement Floor Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamper8

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in the middle of installing a drain in my basement floor for my furnace humidifier. It currently just drains into a bucket. A few questions:

1.) As shown in the photo, what is the safest way to cut a section of of this main trunk? If I use a cut-off wheel, do I need to worry about sparks/heat and possible gases lingering in the pipe? Should I do several flushes before I make my cut?

2.) For tieing into the main line, I plan on using 4" x 4" x 2" 45 degree Tee, glue a ~4-6" section of 4" PVC pipe into each end, then couple the assembly to the main line via 4" rubber couplers. Is this correct?

3.) What is the proper way to bring the primer connection from the P-trap out to the surface of the floor? Should there be a fitting at floor level or should the primer connection be a hard line from the trap all the way up to the primer valve?

Thanks!

cut it with a grinder.

where is the vent going?

what kind of trap primer do you have?

what kind of drain ? a floor drain.

they sell floor drains wirh a trap primer taped hole,,simpley thread a adapter into it.

BUT..depending on the type of primer if it will work or not.

most, need to be between the main on the fixture, the movement of water triggers it

State is CT

cut it with a grinder.

Thanks

where is the vent going?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by vent

what kind of trap primer do you have?

Trap primer is a Mifab MR-500 pressure drop primer

what kind of drain ? a floor drain.

I have a Sioux Chief trap/floor drain combo. 800-PPK

they sell floor drains wirh a trap primer taped hole,,simpley thread a adapter into it.

It does have a knockout for the primer, but my question is what do I use to connect my primer up near my water line down to the trap connection? hard PVC? Flexible water line? Can I just drill a hole and poke it down through the concrete?

BUT..depending on the type of primer if it will work or not.

most, need to be between the main on the fixture, the movement of water triggers it

all p traps shall have a vent per code.

a vent is a pipe that protects the trap fro back siphonage

P5250464 (1).jpg

as far as routing the trap primer, 2 ways above the floor or below the floor
if above,run it over to the drain and drop it in.
understanding a trap primer drains from the primer to the trap it is not under pressure
it has to slope twards the trap, it can not run up hill or it will back up and flood the area it is tied in at

12144662_919416114806350_4405088074483438641_n.jpg

As far as connecting to the trap, I understand that it's a gravity feed from the primer to the trap, but I need to know how I should physically connect the two. As of right now I am going to use copper fittings from the trap primer port to the surface of the floor and connect the primer outlet to this port with some flexible plastic piping. 1/2" ID, the same hose that's on my humidifier drain.
I imagine this isn't to code however. If I have to have a hard line (copper etc) from the primer to the trap please let me know.

As far as the vent goes, your picture shows I can tie into an existing vent? If that's the case than isn't simply connecting my drain to the main trunk equivalent to connecting to a existing vent? It all connects to the main vent stack of my house.

In this image each p-trap doesn't have it's own vent but rather uses the common vent/stack of the house
318799.image0.jpg

Last edited:
no sir, you do not understand the function of a vent.

any pipe provided to ventilate a plumbing system , to prevent trap siphonage and back pressure or to equalise the air pressure within the drainage system

lotta yadda yadda words
to make it simple. put a straw in a glass of water, put your finger over the end of the straw, pick the straw up from the liquid
and it stays in the straw. no vent
take your finger off the straw. vent
simple to the point. if you do not provide a vent, when a toilet it flushed, the water in the trap will be pulled out of the trap.

OH BUT WAIT>>>>I AM SMART I AM INSTALLING A TRAP PRIMER.LOL LOL

still wont work, a trap primer only delivers a squirt of water, not enough to fill a trap. cause it was not designed for that purpose
it is designed to dump a little in to keep up with evaperation.

run the copper above the floor, and 90 into the drain.

or. bust the floor up over to the source of the water

318799.image0.jpg

QUOTE}}}As far as the vent goes, your picture shows I can tie into an existing vent? If that's the case than isn't simply connecting my drain to the main trunk equivalent to connecting to a existing vent? It all connects to the main vent stack of my house.QUOTE}}
the code says ALL fixtures SHALL have a vent
shall means you better if you dont want a red tag

Last edited:
Ok thank you for the additional information. I suppose when my house was built in 1960 the code wasn't the same otherwise I'd have a lot more vent pipes running through my basement. I will put it in because even though I'm not a pro I like to attempt to do things as correct as possible. Can you tell me the details as to how far from the p-trap the vent connection should be and what diameter the vent needs to be as well? E.G. No closer or no farther than 12" from P-Trap and min. 2" diameter piping etc etc. Just an example.
Thank you

OK thanks, I think I have a handle on the rough in now. Looks like key points are:
1. vent must enter a min. of 4" below trap. (2 x 2") I'm assuming a 45degree T is fine for that.
2. Vent must enter drain at a minimum of 22.5 degree angle above horizontal plane of drain pipe.

Can the drain and vent pipes be buried directly in the dirt or do they need to have a bed and/or be surrounded by stone? As this is not a perforated drain pipe I'm not sure why I'd need stone but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Back