Basement floor drain backs up when I do laundry

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajknight

Reaction score
Who says all surprises are good ones?

I came home the other day I went down to my basement and there was water on my laundry room floor.
At first I couldn’t figure out where it came from I had three possible suspects. So after cleaning up and having an idea of what to prepare for I ran another load of laundry.
When it started the rinse cycle that’s when water start going into my basin and then started coming up from my floor drain.
I try using a plunger maybe that would loosen up whatever clog there was but so far no luck.
I’ve heard don’t use chemicals as it could damage the pipes.
Any ideas?
All help is greatly appreciated

You need to snake the sewer line. It sounds like your sewer line is like mine. The washing machine is at the end of the sewer, then the floor drain, then the rest of the house's drains into the sewer. It appears you have an obstruction after the floor drain and before the rest of the house's drain enter the sewer. That is assuming you don't have any other drains that are causing the same issue.

And yes, chemicals are bad and probably not, like 99.99% not, remove this obstruction.

OK, if I can’t use chemicals and I have to call a plumber to snake it out, About how much does it run?
I called to get a estimate but they want $80 just walked in the door. Last time, I did that I paid $100 for the guy to come in and say he’ll need to replace the majority of the pipes.
(The problem was solved with a wrench, some plumbers tape, and courage to do it myself)
So I don’t know if I want to go down that road again, invitation for another hundred bucks.

So can I get some guesses on how much it might cost to professional to snake out a drain.
Thanks you

You can rent a snake but you have to know how to use it or you could get hurt call a DRAIN CLEANING CO , not a plumbing co
We have a company called Roto-Rooter, they want $80 to walk in the door. Which I’ll pay as long as they don’t try something shading, like upselling me.

We have a company called Roto-Rooter, they want $80 to walk in the door. Which I’ll pay as long as they don’t try something shading, like upselling me.
Do not use Roto Rooter unless you check their reviews or get referrals, they are shady as they get. See if the company you get will run a camera for a reasonable fee. I believe it is worth it to find out what caused the issue, maybe roots or a dip in the pipe

In my neck of the woods, there are local plumbing companies that advertise main line drain cleaning for $89 and some of them say that if they can't get it open, there is no charge. Most of these companies are reputable. Some of them will run a snake in the line, clear it, then say that, for an additional charge, they can cam the line. They usually say something to the effect that 'something caused the line to be clogged (like a broken pipe) and you *really should* have it camed to understand what you are dealing with'.
The decision to have it camed is based on your particular situation and knowledge of the line, the type of line it is, etc.. If the house is say 40 yo and you suspect something is wrong, then caming it may not be a bad idea. Based on what they see, they may identify some things to do, such as hydrojetting the line, putting in a liner, etc. They put the doubt in your head that at some point, 'something' may happen with the line so better get it 'fixed' now.
OTOH, you can just get it snaked, and take some preventative measures, like putting lint traps on the washer drain line, periodically flushing the sewer line every 2-3 months with 2-3 5 gallon buckets of hot water, and yes,maybe an enzyme treatment.
In some situations, it is better to cam the line to get the facts about what the situation is. OTOH, if you think it was just a passing abnormal situation that cause the problem, then don't cam it and take your chances.
Good luck

Unfortunate update. Came home and look like some water had come up and went back down the drain. The problem is nobody was home to run anything. So what can this be?

OK so now I want to try to snake the drain unfortunately I can’t get the drain cap off. I’m gonna post a picture and ask for some suggestions. I’ve used PB Blaster on the two screws so far.

You said your drain backed up without you using it, in your last post that means your city sewer is backing up into your house, you need to call the city or town to let them know so they can clear their drain you don't need or want to open that cleanout cover until the city clears it's drains, you will have a bigger issue

Back