Assistance sizing water pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxsprings

Reaction score
I could use some help sizing a water pump. Here is my situation:

I have a 1.5" meter from the utility supply. Using a basic pressure gauge on a spigot I get 40psi of pressure.

I have a branch off the utility supply which I used to measure my maximum flow. I filled a 90 gallon water trough in almost exactly 1 minute, so for the sake of simplicity lets call it 90gpm.

I am installing my own storage tank (backup tank in the event of utility water being unavailable).
I fill my 5000 gallon tank from this 1.5" incoming line. In order to avoid my stored water standing for long periods (or indefinitely), my intention is to use the water from the storage tank for all my household needs, letting it refill from the utility supply.

I want to be able to get the same flow rate and pressure from the stored water (in my tank) as I get from the utility supply. But looking at pumps that will supply 90gpm/5400gph at 40psi appears to be madness; they are seriously big pumps that appear to be far more than I need.
So I think perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Can anyone help me better understand what I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Some other context:

My utility supply is a community owned mutual water company (<60 homes).

I live in an extreme high risk fire area, so I also have a 4" outlet on my storage tank for that situation.

In the event of fire risk, all the homes run all their hoses dousing everything, effectively reducing the supply to a trickle.

I have a 1.5" fire hose off the utility supply that I need to be able to run at the same pressure and flow from my own service. If it weren't for this, I could gladly run it on 3/4" and call it good!

doesn't your community have fire hydrants, I think the questions
your asking were its such high risk should be directed to an engineer
usually you would have one main but branches off of that for
fire if there are lives at stake have it engineered

Last edited:
doesn't your community have fire hydrants, I think the questions
your asking were its such high risk should be directed to an engineer
usually you would have one main but branches off of that for
fire if there are lives at stake have it engineered

Fair point well taken!

Back