Assistance identifying replacement Royal Cleveland bathtub stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonK

Reaction score
Morning all,
I removed stem from hot water faucet and am trying to identify for replacement but also a couple other related questions.

1. When I removed the stem it left something floating within the valve. I am unable to determine if it sheared off the stem and should have come out with the stem or if it should be attached to something within the valve and therefore it’s broken or if it’s perfectly normal to be just loose inside the valve.

2. Based on the faucet’s symptoms (see below) can I fix by replacing the various seals on the stem?

Symptoms

A. Hot water faucet no longer cuts off and has fast drip
B. Much more curious than A! When cold water faucet is on, cold water pours out of end of decorative sleeve of hot water faucet but without water appearing anywhere else it shouldn’t such as floor or basement. No idea how that is the case. So I need to repair both faucets but only have hot water one removed at this point because I have no way to cut off cold water to tub only.

Thank you,

Jasonimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

That’s a washer and a Bibb screw jammed into the seat.

Grab the screw threads with needle nose pliers and pull it out.

Be sure to get all the washer out if it breaks apart. If you need to, turn the water on and wash it out.

Replace the washers, Bibb screws and orings.

Find a professional plumbing faucet parts store in your area. That’s your best bet for getting quality parts.

Find a professional plumbing faucet parts store in your area. That’s your best bet for getting quality parts.
Thanks a lot for the great info. Especially regarding the separated piece still within the valve body. Much appreciated.

Jason.

Hi there,

I found exact replacement stems, including Bibb screws, and installed. The issue of cold water coming out of the hot water handle is fixed but hot water is still streaming out of the spout when the valve is seemingly tightly closed.

If the brand new valve has the same symptom as the old one there’s something else amiss. Do you have any thoughts?

It seems hard to imagine that a channel has been worn in the 3-way valve casting / rough-in thing behind the wall, even though it may be approaching 50 years old at this point. Also the issue came on pretty quickly rather than gradually worsening.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason.

You need to replace the “ seats “ .

Whoever sold you the other parts should also have the seats.

You need to replace the “ seats “ .

Whoever sold you the other parts should also have the seats.
Ah, I did replace those with new ones. I thought those were what you were referring to as the Bibb screws.

Could it be I didn’t screw them in far enough? Or did I need to coat the threads with something or should there have been a washer or similar?

Thank you.

The seats get pipe dope on the threads.

This is the seat marked in red.

Attachments

• 91F0A3EA-121F-4DEC-AAC4-8AC2F32F7735.jpeg
    91F0A3EA-121F-4DEC-AAC4-8AC2F32F7735.jpeg
    633.4 KB · Views: 0
That was exactly it. Thank you so much.

I used the T plus 2 product in the end because it said that piping could be placed into service immediately whereas the yellow tube product recommended 24 hours.

Thanks again,

Jason.

Back