Ask it a different way

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
When constructing you drain system in new construction in a CRAWLSPACE is it best to start at the drains and work toward the exit through the foundation wall to the septic. Or work from the exit toward the drains.

Thank you.

I have one run which will be tight on fall, so that is obvious... start as high as possible.

Several other runs will be shortish, So is it best to start those runs high .. relatively high on the under side of the joist (crawlspace), run them at the standard 1/4 inch fall and then when close to the main 4 inch drain out of the building DROP them Hard into that line. Or should the drains at the fitures drop a bit lower so as to maintain the 1/4 pitch all the way to and on into the 4 inch.

understand?

In that case, I would likely start with the run that will be tight, take it to the main, then run the main and the rest of the branches from there. The only reason I would bother jumping up to a higher elevation would be to avoid something or to make it easier to support the piping.

In that case, I would likely start with the run that will be tight, take it to the main, then run the main and the rest of the branches from there. The only reason I would bother jumping up to a higher elevation would be to avoid something or to make it easier to support the piping.

pvc must be hung every 4' except for IPS code. probably dont use hangers..block of wood or a rock

every 35 foot

a.gif

a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all.

I more or less wanted to confirm that it is ok to increase the pitch near the end or to drop into the main with 45s or something and not required to maintain an even pitch.

For a "clean" / easier to navigate crawlspace, I figure it best to run all lines as high as possible (to crawl under). So dropping into the main seems best to me, if that is ok.

Everyone seems to be saying that is fine.

Not sure what one poster was talking about hangers and 35 feet and rocks???

What specific advise are you giving me regarding duct work?

I know I will have one large truck duct, so I knew I needed my exit from the foundation pretty low, so that I could run one branch low enough to get under the truck while maintaining proper pitch. SO I have been thinking so.

Thanks. Any other specific advice?

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Curious because of your chosen user name. LOL

over 55 under 60. 16 in my head, I read the Hobbit in 1977. by j r tolken

a friend of mine named me frodo i have never seen the movie.

not being a smart ass, but every house is different. stick a pipe out low. go to the end. turn around and look.
whats in your way? run high till you have to drop down.

th.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Frodo,

I asked about your age because when I was in high school in the 70's there was a guy running around writing "Fordo was Here" on every chaulk board he could find. I thought he to be a bit lam, and I had no idea who Frodo was. Years later I read the books and figured it out.

The long and the short of it, I figure to know who Frodo is you either have to have been a student of the 60's or 70's or of the 00's, no one in between.

Thanks to all.

I more or less wanted to confirm that it is ok to increase the pitch near the end or to drop into the main with 45s or something and not required to maintain an even pitch.

For a "clean" / easier to navigate crawlspace, I figure it best to run all lines as high as possible (to crawl under). So dropping into the main seems best to me, if that is ok.

Everyone seems to be saying that is fine.

Not sure what one poster was talking about hangers and 35 feet and rocks???
Frodo is just upset that the code he works under was written in the iron age by a species very similar to the Neanderthal. :D:p:D

There, that should get things stirred up.:)

And, I read The Hobbit several times as a teen, and the trilogy at least once. And several times since then. The Hobbit probably once a year, and the trilogy every couple of years. Plus several other of Tolkien's books related to Middle Earth.

I am a bit odd.

Yes, I know. It is called the Florida Building Code, Plumbing. I am trying to get Frodo to read it, but he is too busy moving around the stone tablets that his code is chiseled on.:p

Back