Air in hot pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmayhill

Reaction score
I need some more heads on this.. I've recently installed a new gas wh. Have been called back because customer is getting air out of upstairs bathroom pipes when they first turn it one. Wh was installed back in Jan and more then enough water has been ran through pipes so I know that's not it

So first time called out checked water temp it was 180 at tap but wh set at 125 so replaced gas control valve and said call back if that don't fix it

Customer called back and had same complaint about air still. Went back out and tested temp it was 145 at Tap and 125 set at wh. Ordered another gas control valve from ruud. While there made sure there was not a second wh in home also no recir line anywhere

I'm assuming this is not going to fix the issue my question is any thoughts what could be causing this I find it weird I would have 3 faulty control valves

It's a 50 gallon ruud : prog50-40n ru62

No expansion tank which old kind did not have one either

Plumbing is copper

No it does not smell and the wh is only a couple months which I guess it could be just faulty. Do you think adding an expansion tank would allow that to prevent the air happening. That upstairs sputters only a few time when it first turns on

I've never encountered this before so it's just really bazar

Back