Advice on water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampfoot

Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on something I have going on. Have 13 yo electric water heater, lowboy in closet under air handler. Functions fine but noticed pooling rusty water on the top, T&P valve works still but I think that is where the leak is. Leaks enough to drip over the side and wet the pan a little.

From what I've seen it's replacement time, wouldn't think it's fixable. Quotes I've gotten are anywhere from 1200 to 1500 to replace.

Thanks for any advice.20210530_114949.jpg

Yes, you have a problem. I am just as concerned with the green ground wire not attached at the bottom of your picture. Take care of this immediately.

Yes, you have a problem. I am just as concerned with the green ground wire not attached at the bottom of your picture. Take care of this immediately.
The armored cable sheath functions as a ground.
As long as connectors are all tight.
And that little bit of green wire might just be a snip of scrap cut off during installation.

Yeah I think I'd replace the piping and t&p valve. Your t&p valve might just need tightening.

The armored cable sheath functions as a ground.
As long as connectors are all tight.
And that little bit of green wire might just be a snip of scrap cut off during installation.
Yes that could be s snippet of ground wire, but the NEC has required a separate ground wire for MC cable for many years. Depending on the metal jacket and connections for grounding is not allowed.

I would replace the water heater and all the exposed piping to it. Also lower the relief line. I’d hard pipe the heater if allowed.

Thanks for the replies. Probably going to go with replacing it all. The ground is connected, it's stripped an inch above that exposed piece and grounded. Dunno why they left it sticking out. I have the option to go with the same company that installed it 13 years ago.

Latest posts

Back