Advice on installing toilet flange spacer.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireshark

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm finishing up my tile job and wondering about the proper way to install a spacer.

The current flange sits 1/4" below the finished surface, and is drilled into the subfloor. (havent cleaned it off yet)

VvNA4.jpg

I have a jumbo wax ring, that sits about 1" above tile level... would this suffice?

IKlWp.jpg

Or do i need to install a spacer to raise the flange? I have a 1/2" spacer, that when installed sits about 3/8" above tile:

hOaKM.jpg

Lowes only had 1/2" spacers in stock... if i needed to, i could go somewhere else and get a 1/4" spacer, which would make the flange level nearly flush with the tile.

If the spacer is the way to go, i assume i just remove the screws from the existing flange, sit spacer on top of flange, and then put longer screws back through the flange/spacer holes? What should i use to seal between the two? Adhesive caulk?

Also, i noticed that when i put the spacer on top of the flange, there is a lip on the inside where the spacer overlaps the angled interior of the flange... is this normal/ok?

qbwJw.jpg

Thanks for any help! :)

You shouldn't need a spacer here. The extra thick wax ring you have should do the trick. I would advise getting a wax ring (extra thick) with a plastic flange in the middle. You can pick one up almost anywhere.

i'm assuming that when you say 'plastic flange in the middle' you are talking about the little plastic drain extension.

fyVZg.jpg

That's a pic of the thick wax ring i have, so if you aren't talking about something else, ill use that one.

Thanks for replying!

Back