Advice about tiling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainXzero

Reaction score
I installed a check valve in my basement main sewage pipe. I am tiling over the concrete floor and I want to leave an access panel at the check valve. Any advice on how to attach a 12x12 inch porcelain tile to something so I can cover over that hole? I tried plywood first but it morphed and the thinset detached. I was thinking of mortaring the tile to a piece of cement board but I fear it will lack the structural integrity to support any weight.

I would suggest a piece of 1/4" plate and use some construction adhesive to glue the tile to it. Shim the plate so that the tile is level with the surrounding tile.

I would suggest a piece of 1/4" plate and use some construction adhesive to glue the tile to it. Shim the plate so that the tile is level with the surrounding tile.
That's an excellent idea. Thank you.

I installed a check valve in my basement main sewage pipe. I am tiling over the concrete floor and I want to leave an access panel at the check valve. Any advice on how to attach a 12x12 inch porcelain tile to something so I can cover over that hole? I tried plywood first but it morphed and the thinset detached. I was thinking of mortaring the tile to a piece of cement board but I fear it will lack the structural integrity to support any weight.
May I ask... why a check valve in a sewage line ? Never heard of that before. Thought they need to be free flowing as possable. Or maybe you meant something else , or I am just ignorant of this.

Our inspectors banned backwater valves 🤣. So yeah, depends on your zipcode.

So yeah, depends on your zipcode.
Yep, the issue is more applicable to houses with a basement. And it is exasperated if the house is on a sewer line that flows to a lift station.

A backwater valve is required by IPC and UPC plumbing codes, as well as many state and local plumbing codes, when the cover of the nearest upstream manhole is above the flood rim of the lowest fixture in the building.

Yep, the issue is more applicable to houses with a basement. And it is exasperated if the house is on a sewer line that flows to a lift station.

A backwater valve is required by IPC and UPC plumbing codes, as well as many state and local plumbing codes, when the cover of the nearest upstream manhole is above the flood rim of the lowest fixture in the building.
We require a sewer relief. Upside down p-trap on a standpipe outside. It serves as a sewer overflow. It’s rare that you’d need one on my area but certain houses are subjected to the condition.

The problem with backwater valves is you don’t know they don’t work until it’s too late. ✌️

They are called backwater valves and are now required by codes and certain municipalities under some conditions.
Yeah, particularly in locations where the stormwater system overflows into the sewer system and then causes "black water backups" into homes. Seemed to be a common retrofit in the Detroit area where I once lived.

May I ask... why a check valve in a sewage line ? Never heard of that before. Thought they need to be free flowing as possable. Or maybe you meant something else , or I am just ignorant of this.
I'm sorry, wrong name. It is a backwater valve.

Latest posts

Back