Adding duel shower heads

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwgsx

Reaction score
I just ripped out my bathtub and am making the area into a shower. Since the area is so long for a shower, I was thinking of putting shower heads on both wallls, only issue is the main big wall is a outside wall and im worried about freezing a pipe. Im in Tx., so it doesnt get that cold but we do get some low 20's and teens in Jan. and Feb. The main water supply comes from a inside wall thru the floor. How would you rout the Hot and Cold to the other side??

First I though cut a notch thru the back wall studs and wrap the copper pipes with that pipe foam stuff. I also thought of going up in the ceiling and down but the attic would be cold too. I also had a passing idea to run the 2 pipes in between the curb I have to make for the shower since that area wouldnt get cold. Any thoughts?? I doubt if any would be up to code but im looking for functionality. lol

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Adding another shower head will probably cause low pressure problems unless you increase the size of the water lines coming to the unit. Running the piping will be difficult, but possible as long as you can insulate the outside wall pipes.

I guess it depends on what you are looking to do, exactly. Do you want the two heads to operate simultaneously? If so, then as majak said you will need to increase the supply to the shower in order to prevent pressure drop. If you want only one to function at a time (such as a rain shower and a handheld) you should be able to purchase a diverter valve and handle that will allow you to switch between the two. This means you can run the pipe to the second head after the mixing valve as you are thinking of doing. If you must run your pipe along the outside wall, definitely insulate it. Up here in the great white north I see a lot of damage caused by improperly insulated water lines.

I'm not sure if it is an option in your case, but could you run the line for the new head OVER the shower?

Yes it would be more like using one or the other, So I think pressure would be ok. I wish I could go over but there is a attic above and the way the rafters are, I would have to do some major work to run the line. If I go on the outside wall, what would I have to do to the pipe to insulate it good?? At least I know the pipe would not have a constant water pressure on it so if it busts ( which it shouldnt) it would not flood the house.

If it all possible, can it be done underneath? it is a crawlspace? Is this upstairs and could be ran from the ceiling below? If neither of those are possible, then I would suggest running over head and insulating the pipes.

This is just a suggestion but I did house for about three years down in Corpus Christi, Tx and we ran pex pipe for all our water. Inside walls as well as exterior walls. Manufacturer I was told said no need to insulate this type of pipe at least down this part of the country. We never insulated our pex pipe and still till this day have not had a problem with it. I did many, many house this way and with this being said I would run the pipe for the other shower head through the outside wall studs and then up were you need it. That's just what I would do.

If it all possible, can it be done underneath? it is a crawlspace? Is this upstairs and could be ran from the ceiling below? If neither of those are possible, then I would suggest running over head and insulating the pipes.

its a single story with cement slab so I cant go under. The ceiling above is the attic but right on the outside wall. I was going to run it on that back wall BUT, they have a vent pipe going all the way up and there is no room at all to run a water line around it.

I would have to go thru the attic or somehow run it thru the shower curb and around.

Back