adding a basement shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregol1962

Reaction score
While renovating my basement powder room, I discovered an old toilet drain under the flooring when it was torn up. I am thinking the toilet was at one time in the centre of the wall and when a vanity was added, the toilet was moved to the left and the old drain simply boarded up. I then had a brainwave that perhaps I could add a basement shower and use the old toilet drain as the drain by running a drain pipe to it. I know it would have to be sealed and I am wondering if I can do that and how? Since the old drain appears to still be connected to the new toilet drain, it would be vented. Is this possible and a good idea? I would appreciate comments and suggestions. Many thanks.

Given the information available, sure it's possible. I would ask myself. If the pipe is still hooked up? Where the vent is for the new toilet? how will I tie in a new vent for the shower. Is horizontal wet venting permitted in your jurisdiction if that is what will need to be done? Is it allowed under a slab? I assume you have a concrete floor. Ask you inspector what they will require.

Back