ABS vs. PVC for drains?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl Lewis

Reaction score
While doing my completely amateur "research" on the interweb for a drain repair, it seems like there are both PVC and ABS piping used for modern drains. Is there a preference of one over the other? Just based on appearance alone it seems like ABS is a little heavier and stronger. Is that true? I know the actual strength of materials can be deceptive, based on appearance alone so wanted to check in with some plumbers to see what's most common in the industry and actual usage these days.

Somehow it evolved as a geo divide. We predominantly use ABS in the west. ABS has and continues to been a fine material for drain piping and does not require primer, which is a time saving element.
All plastic pipe has the same identical requirements for support.

Somehow it evolved as a geo divide. We predominantly use ABS in the west. ABS has and continues to been a fine material for drain piping and does not require primer, which is a time saving element.
All plastic pipe has the same identical requirements for support.
Thanks for the clarification, I've often wondered why home improvement programs based east of the Mississippi use PVC as DWS material.

Here in Hawaii, the material of choice is ABS, not needing a bonding primer indeed saves time.

Thanks for the clarification, I've often wondered why home improvement programs based east of the Mississippi use PVC as DWS material.

Here in Hawaii, the material of choice is ABS, not needing a bonding primer indeed saves time.
ABS doesn’t play well with direct sunlight

Back