ABS Vent Pipe Joint Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick1234

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, I found that a vertical pipe (~4 ") is leaking water in the attic (see photo). I took out some wet insulation, and believe it is the joint that is leaking. Because this is a vertical vent pipe penetrate through the roof, there is a rubber roof to seal the roof penetration. If I cut the pipe and replace the joint, I am afraid it may damage the pipe sealing at the roof becuase the pipe is being moving/vibrate during the cutting. What options do I have?

The leak rate is slow drips of water when it rain. I will check again the next time it rains.

What are my opinion to repair the leak?

Hi,

In my query, I didn't attach the photo that I took in the attic.

regards,
Patrick

photo123.jpg

My guess is your leak is coming from the seal around the vent pipe on the roof. It may be running down the pipe giving the appearance that it's the joint. Next time it rains look up at where the pipe exits through the roof to see if there is any water running down the pipe above the joint.

Hi John,

You are right. I had a roofer came in today and replaced the vent boot and flashing. I hope it won't leak again.

thanks

Patrick

Back