AAV/Sink Overflowing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gspsaku

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a large sink in the kitchen and a second smaller sink as well. The two sinks, when I run water for over a minute, will start to bubble, overflow, and water will start to leak from the pipes under the sink. I am at wits end as I have had three different plumbers come and have given me the same solution; bad aa valve and I have replaced them to no avail. Before I spend more money, can I have a plumber just come and do new piping and can I just get rid of the aa valve system? Thanks for the advice fellas

Has anyone snaked the drain? Sounds like there's a clog downstream.

When you say bad aav does thatean they have removed it and the sinks drain properly?????
With both aa valves removed, it drains much better but still overflows from the pipes but less often. It stinks without the aa valves in place. And it’s just the kitchen sinks that are an issue. Everything else is fine

Definitely still clogged. When there is a clog downstream of an AAV the displaced air can't escape and creates positive pressure keeping the AAV from opening.

If it still backs up with no AAV there is a clog....

Kitchen drains are usually grease clogs which can close up again after the snake is pulled out. Run the hottest water possible while snaking if you can.

Back