AAV and Vent Combination

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhogan

Reaction score
I'm building my own home in a rural area. I have a professional installing an aerobic septic system. The entire house is solid wood and it has a metal roof. There aren't any wall cavities and the ceilings are vaulted without an attic space. So, I don't have space to hide vent pipes as they rise to the roof.

If I plumb each fixture inside my house using an air admittance valve (AAV), my understanding is that they will drain/flush properly since air is being let into the system.

My question concerns the sewer gases that will need to be removed from the system. Instead of venting the fixtures in the traditional manner, resulting in a roof penetration, can I simply vent the main DWV 4" line just before it enters the house? Seems to me that the gases are going to rise at the first opportunity.

Would the combination of AAV's and a single exterior vent suffice?

couple of thoughts,
aav's are not legal in some jurisdictions. before proceeding, you need to find out if they are legal in your area.

plumbing your house rural, no inspections. does not matter,if your house burns, and insurance finds ANYTHING illegal

they will not pay up, they do not want to, are looking for reasons not to.

we ran into this building log homes in colorado.

make a long story short, provide a plumbing wall.

to anewer your question after a lecture, it will help, but, the reason those things are not legal is the leak and fail

they also must be exposed.

single exterior vent, inles the vent is above roof line it will stink.
below roof line the wind currents will keep the funk down low,

Last edited:
Back