58 inch drop in tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downsouth

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and need help with a question. I have a standard shower/tub opening thiat is 60 inch wide stud to stud. My wife does not want a 3 wall alcove with the apron, she wants a drop in tub. If I built the frame for the drop in which will also be wider I will only have a inch left on each end. Will that be enough space for maybe 1/2 sheetrock and tile or is this even possible ? I hope I explained this clearly.

Drop your backer board (1/4") beside the ends of the tub and start your tile flush with the top of the tub, then just caulk your joint.

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, I am not using a 3 wall alcove tub with a tile flange. I am wanting to use a drop in tub , so there will be not any tile touching the tub. The tile will touch the deck only. I hope I am being confusing on my wording. The tub will be self rimming.

Yes, I am going to use the backer board . Will that be too close on each side? I know I can just use the slide in alcove tub that will fit exactly inside the 60 inch gap. I am wanting to build a deck then set the tub in the deck.

images.jpg

the above picture shows what I mean. I should have done that in the beginning, it was hard to explain. I have done this before but have always have made the deck 6 feet wide and when I put tub in I had plenty of room. But I will only have 5 feet beween studs so with the tub at 58 inches end to end it will be real close.

Well that explains it.
I was also not sure wait you were talking about.
I started to make a comment earlier but got interupted here.
Will the tub be Oval similar to the photo?
Do you have room to widen the deck and turn the tub at an angle?
This will give you a little more room for tile on the end walls.

Just a thought.

Yes , it will be oval. I can widen the deck to turn it a angle but would like to keep it straight if I could. Have you ever seen it done on a 58 inch tub? Or am I going to have to angle it. It would great if they made a tub like this about 54 inches but I couldnt find one. Its either a 58 or 60 inch.

They do make smaller tubs but are extremely expensive. I myself have been doing research on smaller tubs due to space limitations at my house, but the closest tub I could find to fit was actually a Japanese soaking tub.

Back