4 shower heads plan / design

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Reaction score
Hello all.
We have two separate mixer valves feeding 2 showerheads.
The plan is to have either one traditional (handheld) showerhead plus a rainfall on each valve, or pair the rainfall heads and the showerheads.
In any case, as has been noted in other places, water pressure with rainfall heads can become an issue.

(See the attached drawing to possibly help explain...)

It seems like one option is to put a shutoff / diverter in front of each rainfall, so that whether they were paired with each other or with the traditional showerhead, they could be turned off independently.
(We've also thought about for solo operation, 'crossing' the heads so that the showerhead and rainfall head on one side of the shower are separately controlled, to allow 'full' pressure by using both mixer valves).
The ceiling is still open (i.e., can still play with the pipes up there), but the walls are done (i.e., can't put a diverter or shutoff valve on the wall as easily).
The ceiling is cedar panels.
So questions include
-should a single mixer valve be able to support reasonable pressure from both the handheld shower head and rainfall?
-So far, we have not upped the house pressure too much; it's a well pump, and was originally set for only 35 on the high side- so now we've got it kicking on around 30 and stopping around 50, so there is still room to play there; what would you recommend for normal water pressure with this showerhead setup? (60-70, ??)
-is there a diverter or shutoff that could be exposed in a reasonably non - kludgy (non-goofy) way through the ceiling? In other words, for instance, a small lever or even a pull down chain that turned the rainfall heads on or off would allow better control of pressure as desired) (See attached absurdly priced example - but something like this where the chain is exposed only, through the cedar ceiling?)
-is the criss-cross idea logical (despite it being a little odd for a solo person to use both valves)?

Thanks for any feedback... I envision some sort of pull chain for the rainfall would be maybe interesting / unique.

Attachments

• ShowerDesign.png
    ShowerDesign.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
  • pullchain.PNG
    pullchain.PNG
    109.5 KB · Views: 3
You need pressure up around 65-75psi to make what you have worth the trouble and expense.

You need some type of shut off to make the water divert to the rain head on each hand shower. It’ll still dribble out of both rainheads while using the handhelds.
To stop the rain heads from dribbling you would need shut offs on the rainheads.
So you would need 4 positive cut offs or you’d get dribble.
This would be a poor man’s work-around and not a good one.

You hopefully sized your piping properly supplying the faucets.

You need a large hot water supply to enjoy using all of shower at once.

I suggest just having the hand showers Or regular heads on the wall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back