3 Handle Shower Valve Identification

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisiscmd

Reaction score
I'm looking for help in identifying the brand (and eventually model) of the 3 handle compression shower stem valves in my showers. I believe they are original to the home (1960s).

I see the K on the drain plate cover but I don't believe my faucet, stem valves, etc. are actually Kohler after extensive research and talking to Kohler reps on the phone.

Thanks in advance!

Stem Valve.jpg

Faucet Handles.jpg

Thanks a lot! That's pretty impressive...

That would make sense since I've (since posting this) found the following part on amazon that appears to match my threading and everything very closely.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XD3AFM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It only comes with two handles though and doesn't seem to be an exact match for the valve stems just visually comparing. Do you know of a good source (site) to get the diverter and H/C stems replaced?

New pics attached of diverter and C stem if it helps.

stems.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean all the parts to the diverter stem then I'm afraid I have them all in view (other than non functional parts like sleeve, escutcheon, etc). However, the shower diverter doesn't really work anyway which would be explained by the missing plastic piece there.

(It only puts some water up through shower head and that requires finding a sweet spot in between 'ON' and 'OFF')

If you meant the seat valves, yes those are still in the wall (body). Unless the piece I am missing from the diverter valve stays in the wall when I take out the stem which I doubt as I've taken it out and put it back in several times now.

Thanks again!

There is more then just the plastic piece missing. There is also a brass sleeve that sets between the O-ring and the main part of the stem. Take a close look at the diverter stem I linked to.

You are right. I am struggling to get that piece out. It should slide out as it's not threaded into anything once the rest of valve is out but all I can pull out are some washers that were also left in.

Any tricks?

Argh...

Did you figure out a way to get the rest of the cartridge out of the valve? I have the same faucet and the same problem. I am happy to know what I have now, but don't have any good ideas on how to get the rest of it out.

Latest posts

Back