1960s Shower Rough In - How To?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFranz89

Reaction score
Our home was built in 1962 and had a bathroom roughed in but never finished. I am bit lost as to how I am supposed to attach the shower head. The pipe is at an angle, and the round "cap" at the end doesn't seem to come off so I don't believe there are any threads to connect to. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImageEBCGBk.png
    tempImageEBCGBk.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 30
  • tempImagel0oLmy.png
    tempImagel0oLmy.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 28
Oh so the whole thing should just unscrew? Feel a little silly for not even considering that... thank you for your help!

Hold on minute,
from the looks of the picture there is not a valve in that wall,
You are going to need to open that wall and install a valve, then when you re rock the wall you need to use the CORRECT sheetrock. the sheet rock on the wall in the picture is white board, you need green board that is mildew resistant on all the walls in the shower

Hold on minute,
from the looks of the picture there is not a valve in that wall,
You are going to need to open that wall and install a valve, then when you re rock the wall you need to use the CORRECT sheetrock. the sheet rock on the wall in the picture is white board, you need green board that is mildew resistant on all the walls in the shower

Ah perfect! It's always more complex than what you assume... Do you mind clarifying what the valve is for?

Thanks again for all the help!

I lost my Superman glasses last night. BUT, I am assuming because I see copper sticking out the wall that the shower valve was never installed. That would be a preference thing to whom ever finishes the shower.
SO. cut a hole and look. ALSO is there a shower pan installed? shower drain?
show a picture of the hole area and the bottom/floor

what you need, is a shower valve, the correct sheet rock or cement board, and you need the wall water proofed
then you can tile

you also need a water proofed shower pan and drain,

I lost my Superman glasses last night. BUT, I am assuming because I see copper sticking out the wall that the shower valve was never installed. That would be a preference thing to whom ever finishes the shower.
SO. cut a hole and look. ALSO is there a shower pan installed? shower drain?
show a picture of the hole area and the bottom/floor

what you need, is a shower valve, the correct sheet rock or cement board, and you need the wall water proofed
then you can tile

you also need a water proofed shower pan and drain,
Looks like Price Pfister stems sticking out of the wall

Back