Please Help-- Leak on the outside wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CluelessHomeowner

Reaction score
I saw a leak on the outside wall of the house today.

I'm not sure if it's because of the rusted screw or something more severe (i hope not)

I don't have the tools to remove the (i have no idea what to call it drain port??)

i was hoping that it's just because of the rusted screw and not anything severe

http://imgur.com/a/3xIg0

eKtnjzj

0Qzakvg

MMpgjN6.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a sewer cleanout, don't unscrew it unless you want a bunch of sewer to come out at you. You probably have a partially backed up line. Is this outside your kitchen sink?

That looks like a sewer cleanout, don't unscrew it unless you want a bunch of sewer to come out at you. You probably have a partially backed up line. Is this outside your kitchen sink?

There's another one like it right at the kitchen sink area but there's no leak there

this "sewer cleanout" is about 12 ft or so away from it.

is this something i have to hire a plumber and cutting into the drywall for ?

i hope this will not cause any mold or water damage to the wall of my house:eek:

Probably need a plumber or rooter company to snake the line and clear the clog. Unless you have a snake yourself.

Shouldn't be a big deal. You can try that snake and see how it goes, best bet it to get that cap unscrewed and snake from there.

Is anything in the house backing up? Or just this leaking cap?

Shouldn't be a big deal. You can try that snake and see how it goes, best bet it to get that cap unscrewed and snake from there.

Is anything in the house backing up? Or just this leaking cap?

sorry for the late reply..

how do i unscrew the cap if i wanted to though? what tool do i need?

there's nothing backing up in the house.. it's the drain pipe in the master bedroom..

i bought a new screw (same size) from homedepot since it could be the reason.. the water probably seeping out because of the rusted screw?

That looks like an ABS threaded plug, you will have to stick something in that slot and twist it or if all else fails cut the plug out and replace it. If water comes rushing out than it is back up, there should be no standing water inside that drain pipe.

sorry for the late reply..

how do i unscrew the cap if i wanted to though? what tool do i need?

there's nothing backing up in the house.. it's the drain pipe in the master bedroom..

i bought a new screw (same size) from homedepot since it could be the reason.. the water probably seeping out because of the rusted screw?

The screw is not the reason for the leak. The plug in the fitting is. A pair of channel locks should work. If not and it is being stubborn, you might be able to find a plug wrench. When you put the pug back in, make sure you have some Teflon tape and wrap it in the direction of the threads on the plug.

I'm sorry for the late reply. It was the screw. I bought the same size screws from Home Depot and did not notice any leak after.

It was a good thing that it was just something so simple.

Thank you for the assistance.

Latest posts

Back