What Kind of Pipe In In This Photo?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
Our city, with state funding, is replacing everyone's lead water service lines. As part of the application process, they sent me some sample photos. I was curious what kind of pipe that is coming through the wall in the attached photo. It is the grey one pressed to the ball valve.

I asked the DPW person and she said they don't use galvanized, plastic or PEX, but she didn't know what it was either.

I thought that maybe it was a sleeve to keep the copper from touching the block, but in other photos, they show concrete touching the copper. So I think it isn't a sleeve.

I'm just curious.
Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• What Kind of Pipe Through Wall.png
    What Kind of Pipe Through Wall.png
    491.5 KB · Views: 0
Copper piping with ProPress fittings and valve. Viega started the idea and many mfrs make fittings now. A special tool with proprietary jaws makes a foolproof joint. We virtually never solder anymore.
The grey is just tape or sleeve.

Thanks Breplum.
It amazed me the first time I saw someone using Pro Press at work. It sure beats the Ridgid RT-175 for flameless soldering.

The grey pipe had me stumped until you mentioned a sleeve.

The sleeve seems like good practice on the part of the installer. I can't count how many under ground refrigerant lines that I've replaced over the years which leaked from being in contact with masonry. They either had abraded holes or dissolved from the alkalinity of the masonry. I used to put Armaflex or cork tape on the replacement pipe for lack of a better idea.

Latest posts

Back