Water Heater Connections Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonbaur

Reaction score
Hello, I recently installed a Rheem 50 gallon gas water heater , I used the existing copper connectors but replaced the plastic rings/seals & Teflon tape on the threads however I am getting small droplets every 30-40 minutes sometimes longer when no water is been used within the house. I have them about as tight as they will go so I'm thinking of replacing the pipes but I have no idea how to bend them the the way they are currently. The shut off valve to the house is also leaking its the circular turn knob type, I was wondering if there's a way to fix that or does it have to be replaced. I have posted a link below with some pictures, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Those supply lines look like they have had a good life and time to replace them. Also, try using Rectorseal instead of teflon tape, and your problems should go away. As far as the valve, you can sometimes tighten the small nut on the stem, which will compress the washer tightly, and stop that leak. If this doesn't work, you can often replace just the stem by unscrewing the valve and replacing it.

Hey thanks for the info I will try tightening that nut for the shut off valve. I do want to replace those supply lines but for the life of me when I tried bending new supply lines the copper kinked horribly and closed the passage way. I bought this exact pipe link below, any suggestions how I can bend it without ruining it.

062010bc-66ab-4174-950c-7eb8f9fb5c57_300.jpg

Thanks

PS for some reason this forum system isn't emailing me that you responded to my thread is there a setting I am not seen to enable this?

-Update I tightened the nut and so far so good :) , Also I think i found the setting for the email updates I had to unsubscribe to this thread then subscribe and an option for instant email showed up not sure if that was the right way to do it.
Thanks

Last edited:
PS for some reason this forum system isn't emailing me that you responded to my thread is there a setting I am not seen to enable this?

I was curious so I went to look at my settings.
Try this

Go to:
"User CP"
"Settings & options"
"Edit options"
"Default thread subscription mode" and set your preference here.

To bend new flex just be carful. I would attach it to the water heater first and then with both hands carfully bend it to the pipe connection

I've also heard of filling the tubing with sand, as a way to bend it without kinking. Another option is to purchase an upgrade to your supply lines and get the stainless steel flexible lines. As Mr David says, take your time, use both hands and do slow, deliberate bends, and it should not kink on you.

Hey, well just got back from messing with the supply lines I was able to stop one leaking by tightening it a bit more. I noticed that the threads still had some play room. I still have to tighten one more pipe (hot water) but the galvanized piping is loose and flimsy coming from the wall so I have to wait for a friend to come over and hold the pipe while I tighten, so only one leak left yay right? Nope after I was done with that about 10 minutes later my wife was cleaning out the trash cans under the sink in the bathroom and she noticed water and well sure enough now that's leaking. To make a long story short I think I know why this happened I think it all comes down to a bad water regulator valve.

(back story)
I replaced a toilet with a pressure assist system maybe 2 months ago and I decided that the water pressure (50psi) was to low so I raised it after watching a few videos how to (80psi) after a few weeks washing machine overflowed it couldn't stop itself i figured **** I better lower that back down so I went to (65psi) well the damage had already been done the next day I saw my water heater had started to leak from the tank itself on the bottom so I replaced it with the new one you see now. And now sure enough I tested the water pressure and it starts at (65psi) just like I set it from last time but it slowly climbs after around 15-20 minutes it raises to around (75psi) so I figure the regulator is bad and needs to be changed.

Sigh

Anyway thanks for the tips on bending the pipe and I did try those suggestions except the sand, I will try that next time if I cant stop the leak. I think I just bought a terrible brand with flimsy copper.

PS thanks for the instructions on how to adjust the notification settings that worked :).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back