Water hammer arrestors stop working after a few days

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. If you have copper pipe and a check valve, the pressure increase can be significant.
Then explain to me why thermal expansion control isn’t required nor indicated for cold systems in a residence ?

20 degrees increase of a few gallons of 50 degree water isn’t a problem. You realize the pipe expands also right ?

As if the Code is Bible. I'd rather have a rubber bladder expand than my soldered copper pipe joints.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. But you’re welcome to believe that BS if you want but don’t confuse the rest of the homeowners here.

Nothings going to stop the copper pipe or any piping for that matter from expanding if it’s heated, not a bladder tank or anything else you install in the system.

The amount of temp rise for the amount of water you have at the average pressure of potable systems there’s no appreciable increase in pressure for the cold system that would need any type thermal expansion control.

How do you think thermal expansion tanks are sized ? Better look into it before this conversation continues.

Last edited:
I’ve tested plumbing systems by filling them up with water and slapping a pressure gauge on a hose Bibb. Pretty normal right ?

So the ambient temp would be 60-70 degrees when I filled the system at 6am but as the day continues and the ambient air temp increases to 90 degrees the gauge does in fact increase if there’s no leaks, just like you’d expect.

But the gauge only increases a couple of PSI not enough to worry about in the cold system.

Now you are adding two more variables into the system: thermal expansion of the pipe itself, and inaccuracies inherent in your personal testing, which of course is anecdotal evidence to support your argument.

Injecting common sense here, the cost of a small expansion tank is a small preventative cost relative to fixing plumbing inside walls and ceilings.

If you want to provide a better product for your customers instead of just following Code, a good plumber would consider an expansion tank downstream of any check valve. If the tank were placed at the end of the cold water line, near the valve causing water hammer, it would serve a second purpose as to eliminate the water hammer.

Now you are adding two more variables into the system: thermal expansion of the pipe itself, and inaccuracies inherent in your personal testing, which of course is anecdotal evidence to support your argument.

Injecting common sense here, the cost of a small expansion tank is a small preventative cost relative to fixing plumbing inside walls and ceilings.

If you want to provide a better product for your customers instead of just following Code, a good plumber would consider an expansion tank downstream of any check valve. If the tank were placed at the end of the cold water line, near the valve causing water hammer, it would serve a second purpose as to eliminate the water hammer.
You’re a nut ball 😝🤣

Yes. Now you can tell me how I have no practical knowledge or experience.
No, I wasn't being derogatory. It was just that reading your replies sounded like almost every engineer I've talked to. Lol. We are going to have to disagree on this topic though.

Yes. Now you can tell me how I have no practical knowledge or experience.

Water enters your house (well or municipal source) at a cold temperature, say 50F. Your house is at about 70F. So when you aren't using water, at night or while you're away, the water will heat up 20F and try to take up more volume. Since it's confined in a pipe, it will increase pressure.

Ok, I’ll tell you…….you don’t have a clue when you suggest a thermal expansion tank because of 50 degree water expanding while sitting in your pipes at 70 degrees can cause high water pressure.

That’s nutty as a fruit cake to say that and you’re a F’n TROLL. 🤣

Great, thanks. Typical of plumbers who I've had to deal with over the last 40 years or so.
You’re an educated idiot.

Thermal expansion control isn’t needed because of 20 degrees increase in water temp inside your walls on a cold water potable residential water system. I don’t give a damn what your “ certificate “ says.

How is a pressure gauge rising a few PSI when the ambient temp increases by 20 degrees anecdotal ? 🤣.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity are you an engineer per chance?
He’s the type guy that likes to make things as difficult as possible by installing components into a system in an attempt to correct crappy design. We’ve all seen it and now you’ve met one of the guys that get paid to Fk things up.

Back