Washing machine/kitchen sink drain backing up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ll start off by saying that I have close to zero experience with plumbing, I have ran some copper supply lines and I have ran some drain piping for 2 tubs in my lifetime at 27.

I have a drain going into my basement floor from the washing machine, stationary tub and kitchen sink. There are 2 pipes, 1 cast iron and 1 copper. I am assuming the copper is a vent pipe because nothing drains out of it.

My problem is that my stationary tub was backing up and draining extremely slow(maybe a gallon every 2 days, if that). Now when my kitchen sink drains it goes down the cast iron pipe and is starting to come up the copper pipe, flooding the basement.

I took apart the drain and tried to shove one of those flat sewer rods with a spear head on the top through line, it goes about 3-4 feet and then completely stops. I got one of those spring manual drain augers and same thing, about 3-4 feet, I spin it and nothing changes. One of the only things I have figured out is that on the ends of whatever I send down there, it comes back with disgusting dark black water, almost kind of oily.

Not really sure where to go from here besides calling a plumber and having them check it out with a camera or something , which I don’t really want to do because I want to learn myself.

I attached 2 pictures, the drain in the front is the one with the copper pipe going up, you can kind of see the copper pipe at the top. Right above the front drain is where the stationary tub deposited to.

I also have a sink and a toilet directly to the left of all of this that seemingly has had zero problem draining and has not contributed to any type of back up.

Any advice would be much my appreciated!

Thank you all for your time!
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I’ll start off by saying that I have close to zero experience with plumbing, I have ran some copper supply lines and I have ran some drain piping for 2 tubs in my lifetime at 27.

I have a drain going into my basement floor from the washing machine, stationary tub and kitchen sink. There are 2 pipes, 1 cast iron and 1 copper. I am assuming the copper is a vent pipe because nothing drains out of it.

My problem is that my stationary tub was backing up and draining extremely slow(maybe a gallon every 2 days, if that). Now when my kitchen sink drains it goes down the cast iron pipe and is starting to come up the copper pipe, flooding the basement.

I took apart the drain and tried to shove one of those flat sewer rods with a spear head on the top through line, it goes about 3-4 feet and then completely stops. I got one of those spring manual drain augers and same thing, about 3-4 feet, I spin it and nothing changes. One of the only things I have figured out is that on the ends of whatever I send down there, it comes back with disgusting dark black water, almost kind of oily.

Not really sure where to go from here besides calling a plumber and having them check it out with a camera or something , which I don’t really want to do because I want to learn myself.

I attached 2 pictures, the drain in the front is the one with the copper pipe going up, you can kind of see the copper pipe at the top. Right above the front drain is where the stationary tub deposited to.

I also have a sink and a toilet directly to the left of all of this that seemingly has had zero problem draining and has not contributed to any type of back up.

Any advice would be much my appreciated!

Thank you all for your time!
Ed
I should also add, I just bought this house in April. There is a large tree about 25 feet away from the house, if the drains run completely straight out of the house, it would practically be under the tree

Does water back up next to your slop sink pictured????,the pipe next to your sink is were id start, it's hard to tell, you can rent electric drain machines at the big box stores, but for this time it's worth calling a REPUTABLE drain cleaning co.they can also camera the drain if your concerned about condition of the pipe+roots

Does water back up next to your slop sink pictured????,the pipe next to your sink is were id start, it's hard to tell, you can rent electric drain machines at the big box stores, but for this time it's worth calling a REPUTABLE drain cleaning co.they can also camera the drain if your concerned about condition of the pipe+roots
Yes, right where it’s opened up at, that cast iron flange is where the water backs up at. The pipe in front of that is where the kitchen sink drains into, so somehow they’re connected to each other

Latest posts

Back