Washer machine Discharge to Yard or Septic

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgonz244

Reaction score
I need to take a poll on what might be the best solution for me. I have a washer machine currently discharging into the sump basin and being pumped to yard. Do i plumb washer discharge to septic or straight to the yard.

Every time i ask this question i get mixed reviews/ideas. i know it may not be up to code to discharge to yard but currently its discharging to the yard anyways. i want to eliminate the stress on our sump pump.

What do i do? Yard or septic for washer discharge?

all depends on how much laundry you do, what the soil/discharge area is like, whether your septic could handle it.

My son just redid his, but it required another drain line on the septic (old house and they have a lot of laundry on the farm). Worth it to him for the extra expense to not have a swampy area.

all depends on how much laundry you do, what the soil/discharge area is like, whether your septic could handle it.

My son just redid his, but it required another drain line on the septic (old house and they have a lot of laundry on the farm). Worth it to him for the extra expense to not have a swampy area.
Seems like taking a chance on plumbng it to the septic could be costly if it overworks it. i think maybe plumbing it to the yard will be less stressful

If I'm reading your earlier post and this one correctly, you currently have your washing machine (greywater) draining into your basement sump that collects underground water that keeps your basement dry. So, your washing machine is not going into your septic system but is discharged to the area of your yard to where your sump pump discharges.

If that is correct, my questions are:
1. Is that area away from your house some distance?
2. Are in a rural setting with no neighbors for a hundred yards or so?
3. Are you subject to code inspection?

If the answers are yes, yes, no, you could easily drain your greywater to your yard and reduce the hydraulic load on your septic field, IMHO>

The good thing about my situation is that I can disconnect the hose from my distribution point and move it to another spot in the yard to drain if I think the trees have had too much, but I’ve never moved it.

Yes, you can’t have it polluting surface waters. You also can’t have it flowing onto neighbors property without permission.

You don’t want pets or children playing or drinking that water.

Standing water causes bugs and all kinds of bacteria to proliferate.

I chose to spread the discharge out over a wide area. Solves all my problems but I have to maintain the pump.

Seems like taking a chance on plumbng it to the septic could be costly if it overworks it. i think maybe plumbing it to the yard will be less stressful
Which is why I posed the question and discussed my son's situation where they added drain field. Just posing questions you should consider.

If I'm reading your earlier post and this one correctly, you currently have your washing machine (greywater) draining into your basement sump that collects underground water that keeps your basement dry. So, your washing machine is not going into your septic system but is discharged to the area of your yard to where your sump pump discharges.

If that is correct, my questions are:
1. Is that area away from your house some distance?
2. Are in a rural setting with no neighbors for a hundred yards or so?
3. Are you subject to code inspection?

If the answers are yes, yes, no, you could easily drain your greywater to your yard and reduce the hydraulic load on your septic field, IMHO>
We are not subject to code inspections.
We are in a rural area.
it will be draining about 15 ft in front of the house where the drainage field is

Yes, another couple of questions are:

1. What is the soil type?
2. Are there any chances your washing machine discharge can make it into a local creek/stream/river/lake.
We live in the coal region in Northern PA. very rocky with shale
no chances for it to reach a creek

Latest posts

Back