Washer drain overflows in basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idlertire

Reaction score
Not only when the washer drains but when water is let out of the sink upstairs the washer drain overflows.I augured the drain and vent.it goes down fast but wants to back up in the washer drain.it only does it when I let water out of the sink.it does not do it when I just turn the faucet on.I thought maybe the vent pipe still might be blocked a little?...it was making a gurgling sound before but after a augured it that stopped.does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?...oh....I am on a sewer line.

It sounds as though you still have a blockage in the drain line that serves the sink and the washing machine. Does the auger that you are using perhaps have a larger head that you could use, to more completely remove the blockage?

I was renting it.they have a bigger one with a bigger line so I guess I need to get the bigger one.

Thank's,

Charles.

Washing machines are really hard on the drain lines. The amount of lint they put in the lines is the main reason. When you try to snake them out, the lint allows the snake to go through and then reseal when it is withdrawn. Since your problem occurs when draining the sink, I think the lint may also be clogging the sink pipe also. You may want to try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. It takes overnight to work, but enzyme drain cleaners cling to, and eat, organic clogs.

Back