Washer drain. Is this code?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ande9974

Reaction score
My sister has a a new house and the washing machine drain looks like this. I’m sure the abs/pvc combination is out of code but is the shape of the trap acceptable? Thanks in advance.
Scott
IMG_3682.jpeg

Looks like they couldn’t make up their mind as to which type of pipe to use. 🤣

Between the outlet of the trap weir and the vent opening must be two pipe diameters apart. In this case that would be 4”. Not 4” of pipe, but 4” developed length. That appears correct, maybe not. Measure it.
E9FA2588-90CD-44B5-95E9-A73E1DCD4D0B.jpeg

They used green transition cement to transition between the abs and pvc. It wouldn’t meet code in my jurisdiction but in some jurisdictions it might. I’d fail it on workmanship clause. It could be argued either way. They also used transition cement on the abs to abs tee connection, I doubt the manufacture would approve but maybe they would. You’ll have to check. They also used transition cement on the pvc to pvc connections. I doubt the manufacture would approve, or the plumbing code.

The 2” unshielded rubber coupling wouldn’t pass in my jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Looks like handyman work, house flipper or DIY weekend warrior plumbing.

I doubt a pro did it.

Between the outlet of the trap weir and the vent opening must be two pipe diameters apart. In this case that would be 4”. Not 4” of pipe, but 4” developed length. That appears correct, maybe not. Measure it.
View attachment 41097

They used green transition cement to transition between the abs and pvc. It wouldn’t meet code in my jurisdiction but in some jurisdictions it might. I’d fail it on workmanship clause. It could be argued either way. They also used transition cement on the abs to abs tee connection, I doubt the manufacture would approve but maybe they would. You’ll have to check. They also used transition cement on the pvc to pvc connections. I doubt the manufacture would approve, or the plumbing code.

The 2” unshielded rubber coupling wouldn’t pass in my jurisdiction.
Thanks for the help. I think it was the rental manager. I will be adding a regular ptrap and moving the drain box over a few inches.

Back