Very rarely used septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod.stan

Reaction score
I recently purchased the land behind mine and it has a septic and well on it. It no longer had a house (fire), and I don’t plan on using the septic regularly. I just wanted the land and the rest was a bonus. There is the possibility of my in-laws putting their camper on it 2-3 weeks out of the years when they come visit. My question is, is there anything special I should do to help increase the chance of it being in good condition when the time comes that I do need it?

It’s a 1000 gallon cement w/drain field. Area is extremely sandy, was installed in 2000 and has had roughly 4-5 years of use over that time.

I’m thinking having it pumped just to know I’m starting off fresh since it likely has never been pumped.

Sounds like a plan. Open it up and have it pumped and inspected.

Or you could just start using it and find out. It wouldn’t hurt to add a vent pipe to the tank and when no one’s around you could uncap the vent otherwise when your guests are near they might smell it.

I recently purchased the land behind mine and it has a septic and well on it. It no longer had a house (fire), and I don’t plan on using the septic regularly. I just wanted the land and the rest was a bonus. There is the possibility of my in-laws putting their camper on it 2-3 weeks out of the years when they come visit. My question is, is there anything special I should do to help increase the chance of it being in good condition when the time comes that I do need it?

It’s a 1000 gallon cement w/drain field. Area is extremely sandy, was installed in 2000 and has had roughly 4-5 years of use over that time.

I’m thinking having it pumped just to know I’m starting off fresh since it likely has never been pumped.
The cool thing about septic systems is that they remediate themselves over time with no usage. Pumping recommendation should be pretty low it doesn’t seam like you’re going to use it. You could always put a plastic riser on it with a pipe for your in-laws RV hookup.

I would open it up and check for sludge on the bottom, if you don't find much just use it! For a few weeks a year it won't need pumping for 25 years

Back