Vertical Cast Iron Stack Pinhole Leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fschlenter911

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Vertical Cast Iron Stack with pinholes. I tried using Epoxy but I get leakage on the edges. I know that I need to have it replaced but wanted to ask about a temporary solution. Can I use Pipe Threading material like Rectorseal 23631 1/4 Pint Brush Top T Plus 2 Pipe Thread Sealant for the pinholes? If not what would you use? Really appreciate your expertise.

If you don't want to replace it try some waterproof tape. I've used it and it worked. People didn't want to replace it
either.

No. Like @TomFOhio says self sealing tape may work, I'm not sure it will since epoxy doesn't.

We use that use that cast product if it's a pipe that can't be shut down immediately
Not sure about flex seal
r+r stop it pipe repair is what I'm referring to, it's fairly expensive but that's what we use, if you type in cast iron drainage pipe repair alot comes up

Last edited:
Maybe wrong for this application, but the regular FlexSeal spray can has this going for it: Easy to apply, and flows nicely (seeping down thanks to gravity) into cracks or small holes, it's kinda watery but thicker. I've been keeping an old roof from leaking badly by spraying the asphalt shingles from the top. I've re-applied it every few months because in my case, the leak is persistent. But the product/FlexSeal seems to "set up" (harden, in a rubbery way.. in 10-?min you can reapply and build it up) pretty well. When you put the half-full spray can back into storage, give it a short blast upside down tp purge the rubbery fluid out of the spray tip. (Same tip goes for spray paint).

I had about a 6" crack on a verticle 3" pipe and used this compression tape for the first time and was suprised
how well it sealed up. I wanted to replace the pipe but they wanted this fix instead.

Latest posts

Back