Various Tools for Unclogging Drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuseman24

Reaction score
I recently took a trip to Home Depot to fix some clogged drains at home (bathroom sink, shower etc).

There were a few different tools available to me, and I was wondering which is the most effective in everyone's experience.

- Drain Auger (snake)

- Rubber Bladder

- Disposable plastic "snake"

- Chemicals

My gut tells me that this won't be the last time I'll have to unclog the drains, as my new girlfriend has long hair that seems to shed continuously everywhere.

Thanks!

I vote an auger......being controlled by an experienced plumber who has the feel to do the job correctly. With it in the wrong hands, it doesn't do too much and if power driven, can cause the handler injuries. And no, I'm not a plumber, but smart enough to understand my abilities.

The drain auger is the best tool since they are usually about 15 to 25 feet long. The rubber bladder may work for some clogs. The disposable plastic snake is normally for getting the trap of a shower or tub cleared of hair. Chemicals can ruin the finish on fixtures and raise the cost of a Plumber. I always charged more if a customer had used them, since It meant being extra careful, and ruining my tools. I suggest you go to a Dollar store and purchase a screen for the drain that can be used when your GF washes her hair.

A good auger is always handy to have. Get one around 20-30 feet long and it will be a faithful helper for most household clogs. you can also be that "hero" guy that actually owns one and saves the fair maidens of plumbingland.

Chemicals are by all means a last resort. They damage fixtures, they can weaken pipe joints, they are harsh on tools and the wrong ones mixed together can release poisonous gasses. People use them because they are lazy but in the long run chemicals are NOT your friend.

lastly, there is a handy little disposable tool called a "zip-it" for clearing hair clogs (but only hair clogs) which I tend to sell a lot to people with shower issues. Basically it is a little plastic strip with upward-facing spikes, you put it in the drain, pull it back up and it brings all that nasty hair with it. Can't recommend it enough to people with recurring hair problems. you can find dozens of videos of people using one on Youtube.

a "Zip-it"? Humm.
Never seen one.
I'll have to investigate

I love how the guy in the video tries to fight the clog around his drain cap instead of unscrewing it. :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses.

I tried the ZipIt. It worked pretty well. In the long run I'm going with the snake. I figure for the amount of use it will get, I'll save money as opposed to buying disposable ZipIts.

Thanks again.

I love how the guy in the video tries to fight the clog around his drain cap instead of unscrewing it. :rolleyes:

I watched 3 or 4 different videos of this and nobody took the plug out.
That could be a whole new video on "How to Remove a Drain Plug"

Back