UPC code interpretation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gh0st

Reaction score
UPC 2021
Table 313.3
Cast-iron hubless shielded coupling
" every other joint, unless over 4 feet then support each joint ¹ ² ³ ⁴ "

I would like to read your interpretation of this code. I've been told that the 4 foot piece still needs support, but wouldn't that piece be the "other" in "every other joint"
Seems that 2 hangers per the 18" max from the joint for support is a bit overkill for a 4 foot section!! And 1 hanger is technically out of code right. I've tried every other joint only in cases where I would like to have the pipe line up esthetically ONLY to get talked down to by an inspector that says it needs support.

Also does anybody get to tell their respective inspectors to FO when we know their full of BS

If joints are less than 4' apart support every other. If joints are more than 4' apart support every joint. Code is minimum requirements, it is often better to exceed code reqs in many applications. If I had an inspector being a dumbass and not listening to reasoning after pointing out code references to support my view I would then take it to his supervisor to get an interpretation. No sense arguing with him if he won't change.

When was about 15 I witnessed an inspector get snatched by the leg into a sewer ditch because he told the plumber to put his level on the pipe but wouldn’t look at it and kept saying it was falling backwards.

The plumber could’ve been arrested for it but the inspector didn’t file charges. He had it coming and I think a few people including the Chief inspector told him as much. You can only talk to people like a dog for so long before the dog bites and that hot July day, the dog bit.

Latest posts

Back