Toilet? Pipes? Too much night soil?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8lackie

Reaction score
Our place was built in the mid 40's an aging condo of brick, lath and plaster. Seven years ago we replaced the toilet, -the old one took up too much space in a small bathroom. It flushed just fine until recently when it started to hesitate after a dump and sometime just stop up. I suspect the sewer pipes were replaced, I've yet to find out for certain. My question, is it the toilet, or the sewer pipes that are causing it to fail? . We have a bidet hook-up on it, so very little paper actually goes in it. The last plumber that looked at it and snaked it seemed to suggest we replace the toilet, he maintained the vent pipe isn't clogged. Fine. However it seemed a best guess. I'm happy to replace it if it changes something, but if it is in fact replaced smaller diameter pipes (making stuff up here because I've no idea actually) that are causing this failure? I see no reason to replace the toilet. Any observations or advice appreciated.

Oh, the current toilet is an AquaSource 1.28 GPF

Water conservation is great, but not when it comes to toilets 1.28 gpf isn't much when it's absorbing paper and other stuff...they do work but more water in the toilet is always better, best way to test your toilet drain is to fill a 5 gallon bucket and dump it into the toilet if it doesn't back up your drain is probably ok, I'm not familiar with aqua source I work with Kohler and toto

Understood. I'll give this a try and see how it handles it. Too many people, meaning the condo assoc. and their in-house plumbers seem to want me to replace the toilet. I'm not opposed, but if the same thing will keep occurring then forget it. Thank you for the reply.

Aqua source is a Lowes brand of toilets. I would recommend a toto toilet because there flush vortex is one of the best. Then while the toilet is off have the plumber camera the sewer pipe leading from the toilet out. What your looking fir is and water holding in this pipe or any scale or flaking off the pipes. If it's cast iron pipe and they didn't pitch the pipe correctly this will happen no matter what toilet is in.

When I installed a 1.28 toilet, it got clogged all of the time. I threw it out after only 1 or 1.5 years and put in a 1.6 gallon toilet and I have never had a single clog ever since. (And this was over 3 years ago).

The problem is it's really hard to find 1.6 gallon toilets. You have to order them direct from places like Ferguson or the professional plumbers who have wholesale accounts can get you generic 1.6 gallons like Pro Flo that work just as good as any Kholer 1.6.

I never tried a Toto 1.28 with vortex, that might be good enough flush if you have no other lateral line problems.

It has been 4 years since I installed 3 Niagara Stealth toilets, which uses 8/10ths of a gallon per flush. I have yet to have a problem. My city did a routine camera inspection on my entire neighborhood and ran a camera from the street up to my house and they advised the pipes were spotless. I guess I just got lucky with my plumbing set up.

It has been 4 years since I installed 3 Niagara Stealth toilets, which uses 8/10ths of a gallon per flush. I have yet to have a problem. My city did a routine camera inspection on my entire neighborhood and ran a camera from the street up to my house and they advised the pipes were spotless. I guess I just got lucky with my plumbing set up.
.8 gallons, om-goodness. I can't imagine that amount being enough to clear it down the pipes.
I've got one run that's close to 60 feet long, and even with 1.6, it amazes me it doesnt plug at some point. I must have got the slope just right when I installed it.

But in store? They are probably in storage many, many states away. The last time I tried to buy a 1.6 gallon toilet from home deport or lowes, the toilet was taking over 45 days to ship to my local store and they finally admitted it was lost (or never in stock) after many, many phone calls. I would not buy a 1.6 from Lowes or Home Depot. Ferguson, however, has a much more organized and accurate inventory that only takes 2 days to ship.

Latest posts

Back