Threaded to plastic adapter fittings?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpns

Reaction score
i've seen some discussion here about how male metal fittings and female plastic fittings are A Bad Idea because they lead to stress cracking, and now I need to order a shower valve for a new bathroom.

The house is currently plumbed in PVC for the cold water and CPVC for the hot water, and I want Symmons Temptrol to match our existing shower valves.

My current pick is: Symmons S261XCPBODY as seen at:
https://www.symmons.com/products/temptrol-body-s261xcpbody/
Which looks like it has special adapters to CPVC with proper reinforcing. But also might have limited availability. So two questions:

1) If the cold water supply is PVC and the supplied adapter is CPVC, will that work or do I need another (or a different) adapter?

2) If the availability of the one with the adapters is limited, and I can only get the Temptrol Body - Symmons without the adapters, is there a standard adapter I can get for CPVC and/or PVC with the proper reinforced plastic parts?

Thanks!

Cpvc should have brass female threads molded into the cpvc with a plastic hub to accept cpvc pipe.

The cold water pvc side you’ll just need to use a brass coupling then screw a pvc mip adapter into the coupling finger tight then no more than two turns with pipe sealant on the male threads.

Most plumbing codes don’t allow pvc water pipe inside the home.

Last edited:
/* Cpvc should have brass female threads molded into the cpvc with a plastic hub to accept cpvc pipe. */

Agreed. What am I looking for in terms of search criteria, or what should I ask for at plumbing supply places?

/* The cold water pvc side you’ll just need to use a brass coupling then screw a pvc mip adapter into the coupling finger tight then no more than two turns with pipe sealant on the male threads. */

So there's no adapter like the one above for CPVC, and I should make my own with a coupling and MIP adapter? Is there no way to connect PVC to the CPVC adapter above?

/* Most plumbing codes don’t allow pvc water pipe inside the home. */

You are correct, but this is what I have to work with, and there's no fix.

Thanks!

Ah, it appears to be called a ‘transition’.

And PVC to brass transitions are $50-$100 so I guess ‘make your own’ is my best bet.

Ah, it appears to be called a ‘transition’.

And PVC to brass transitions are $50-$100 so I guess ‘make your own’ is my best bet.
Transition or an adapter.

Post a link to what you found.

https://www.amazon.com/GF-Piping-Systems-Transition-Schedule/dp/B00AM6JT2M But it’s schedule 80 and I’m having a hard time determining for sure if it’ll fit the schedule 40 pipe my house is already plumbed with. Plus it’s crazy expensive compared to a coupling and mip adapter
Sch 80 pvc O.D. Is the same. It should fit but like you say it’s too expensive and it’s a brand that I’ve never had any experience with.

I’d use this fitting. It’s 3/4 and not available in 1/2”. Use a pvc 3/4 x 1/2 on the solvent weld side and a 1/2” x 3/4” brass bushing on the metal fip side to transition to my 1/2” shower valve inlet threads.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...MI84Onlr6u_gIVMfDjBx1vGAdYEAQYASABEgJxpfD_BwE

Spears makes a stainless reinforced PVC female that works great

I had some of those. I like the Sioux chief metalhead better. Either will work.

5DE9EAEE-6A23-4EA9-9314-0ABF6C3998DB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back