Threaded nylon fillings won't seal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironbob

Reaction score
I just installed a Iron removal system. The system came with male threaded 1" nylon adapters. I reduced these to 3/4" using PVC female thread to copper adapters. I used teflon tape on the threads but they continue to drip. What should I use to mate these parts?

Thanks,
Bob

Did you apply the teflon properly? Make sure you don't have tape hanging off the end of your fitting (it will shred and enter the system, this can be bad in some applications). The tape should be wrapped in the same direction as the threads, and should overlap the previous wrap by about two thirds.

Some people prefer a "liquid" thread seal product, like rectorseal.

I have used Teflon tape for 30 years and and have never had a problem until today. I think the nylon fittings are the problem. Do you know where I can get rectorseal?

I'm another who swears by Rectorseal. All big box stores, along with all Ace Hardware Stores carry it. You can either get a can of it, or a tube similar to a small toothpaste tube, for ~$4.00. It lubricates as you thread the fitting on it, and seals as it dries into a real thick paste.

Dope and tape are great. If they still don't work you may need some rubber washers.

Most CPVC threaded adapters come with them.

Female adapters can be a real pain. If you over tighten the fittings, they can crack along the sides. This is especially true with nylon or any type plastic female adapter.

Female adapters can be a real pain. If you over tighten the fittings, they can crack along the sides. This is especially true with nylon or any type plastic female adapter.
What he said. x20 or 30. In my opinion, plastic female adapters are almost in the category of needing to be "outlawed" in plumbing codes.

Back