smell coming from kitchen sink/pipes, won't go away

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeka

Reaction score
hello! recently i moved into an apartment on the 18th floor, and noticed an odd sulfur smell coming from the kitchen drain. the smell changes, sometimes smells like rotten eggs and sometimes like vague chemicals. tried drano, vinegar/baking soda/hot water, a chemical heat cleaner, nothing has worked. i am also worried about mixing cleaners but hoping i flushed enough with water.

maintenance has claimed they took apart the pipes and found no issues with the p trap, sealed any potential cracks, and even checked in the wall behind the sink and have found nothing. a plumber checked it out and also found no issues, but i feel like the smell is making me sick. what can i do?? management says they have exhausted their options, but it is unbearable to be in the kitchen. thanks so much!

hello! recently i moved into an apartment on the 18th floor, and noticed an odd sulfur smell coming from the kitchen drain. the smell changes, sometimes smells like rotten eggs and sometimes like vague chemicals. tried drano, vinegar/baking soda/hot water, a chemical heat cleaner, nothing has worked. i am also worried about mixing cleaners but hoping i flushed enough with water.

maintenance has claimed they took apart the pipes and found no issues with the p trap, sealed any potential cracks, and even checked in the wall behind the sink and have found nothing. a plumber checked it out and also found no issues, but i feel like the smell is making me sick. what can i do?? management says they have exhausted their options, but it is unbearable to be in the kitchen. thanks so much!

Move out.

thanks so much i would if i could legally break the lease :)))

Call a lawyer, you can break the lease for unresolved health risks in your apartment.

The management has given up on the issue according to your post.

Inform the management in writing of your concerns and your intention to move out of its not resolved. Send it certified mail.

Then call a lawyer.

Take a clear glass run the hot water into it and smell if you have your own hot water heater you maybe smelling off gassing from the anode rod if that's the issue it needs to be aluminum I believe, you can also have your water tested by a pool company and see what's in it

Call a lawyer, you can break the lease for unresolved health risks in your apartment.

Inform the management in writing of your concerns and your intention to move out of its not resolved. Send it certified mail.

Then call a lawyer.i

have tried this, they have told me that i would still have to pay to break the lease because they "

Then call a lawyer.
They have told me that there's no issue and therefore "have not given up" because they have a plumber in writing saying there is no issue, so "legally they are not violating any code". I asked them if they could smell the problem and they said yes, and the best they could do is move me to a different unit but will not provide movers. I worry if I move into a different unit, a similar problem will arise.

If they smell the problem and have not corrected it, then they’re in fact giving up.

I’m not saying it’s a plumbing problem. Not all bad smells are plumbing problems.

File your court case and watch how fast they change their attitudes.

If they smell the problem and have not corrected it, then they’re in fact giving up.

I’m not saying it’s a plumbing problem. Not all bad smells are plumbing problems.

File your court case and watch how fast they change their attitudes.
i think the issue is that i have told them im taking legal action and they say they have not violated anything, therefore i can't take action because they have a plumber's writing that there is no issue, whether or not it is a plumbing issue in the first place. so even though both you and i know they're full of it, i don't think i can get very far on paper

i think the issue is that i have told them im taking legal action and they say they have not violated anything, therefore i can't take action because they have a plumber's writing that there is no issue, whether or not it is a plumbing issue in the first place. so even though both you and i know they're full of it, i don't think i can get very far on paper

The only thing worse than taking legal advice from a plumber would be taking legal advice from the company you’ve threatened to take to court.

Call a lawyer and get some real legal advice.

Latest posts

Back