Rigid 3800 question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck Riley

Reaction score
In addition to my big augur, I have a little Rigid K-3800. Viewed from the rear as you feed the cable, I *thought* it was supposed to spin clockwise when it is on "forward". It is spinning counter-clockwise when it is on forward. It spins clockwise when it switched to reverse. Is that right? Or did the polarity get switched or the switch get reversed? Thanks for any input.

When the drum spins in forward you have to pull on the cable to get it moving out of the drum when in reverse it wants to push itself out of the drum fairly certain the drum is spinning clockwise in forward

I watched some YouTube videos and it appears my forward/off/reverse switch has somehow been flipped. "Reverse" makes my cable spin clockwise going down the hole. "Forward" makes my cable spin counter-clockwise going down the hole. The direction the cable "spring" is twisted is the same as on my big machine, which goes clockwise down the hole in "forward".

It also seems like hitting an obstruction would logically torque the cable tighter if it was going clockwise. Counter-clockwise would "open" the spring and ruin the cable if used that way consistently.

I don't know how the flip occurred but I'm going to run it clock-wise which, in my isolated case, happens to be in "reverse."

Can you ship it not sure what that would cost, is there a local electrician???that could look at it?????
I got a new cable the other day, and new attachments today. I ran it in "reverse" (clockwise) and it worked fine. I don't know how the electronics got switched but I'm just going to press on knowing it's assbackwards. Thanks, though.

You should be running your machine in the same direction as your cable is wound 99.9% of the time.

This way when you hit an obstruction the spring cable tightens on itself making it stronger/stiffer rather than opening up.

The only time I turn my cable the “ wrong way “ is an attempted to get my cable to unscrew whatever I’m twisted up in or to throw some roots off the cable.

Some cables are left hand wound, some are right hand wound. That dictates what direction you should be running the machine, not if your feeding or retrieving the cable.

Most cables are left hand wound, Marco cables are right hand.

Last edited:
I would get if fixed the correct way. When it jams in reverse it could be ruining something inside. If this is a fairly new machine
you should be able to send it back or take it back to the supply house.

Latest posts

Back