Replacing Toilet guts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziaka

Reaction score
I have a Gerber toilet that started running constantly. The old guys were Sloan Flushmate and I’ve never seen anything like it. I purchased Fluidmaster Universal Complete Kit.

After installing the new guts the toilet won’t flush. The plunger comes up and it takes about 45 seconds for all of the water to exit the tank and the plunger to fall back down. The fill in the bowl is to slow to ever cause a flush.

Any of you have suggestions for me?
IMG_6042.jpegIMG_6041.jpeg

No expert BUT ............ The water level in the tank should be about one inch below the overflow tube. Your water level appears very low.
The fill valve should be raised so the float allows a higher level ......... either by moving the collar on the fill tube and raising it on the inside tube or with the adjustiing screw.

Note the collar on the bottom of the outside tube. Lift it up and it allows the outside tube to be repositioned higher on the inside tube.

fluidmaster.jpg

I have now raised the water level as high as it can go with the lid still able to go on. Same issue as before. Sadly, I still need help.

Thank you for the suggestion, Sarg.

You cannot convert a pressure assist to gravity flush. It doesn't work, as you found out. The waterways and trap is smaller and completely different design. You need a pressure assist tank or a new toilet.

The fill valve has two means of adjustment being the total unit height and the screw adjustment that moves the "float" position on the unit body. You should be able to adjust both so the float shuts the fill valve when the water level is about an inch below the overflow tube without the total unit being too high.

I'm probably not understanding the issues because that does not explain the very slow filling or lack of "flush" power.

You cannot convert a pressure assist to gravity flush. It doesn't work, as you found out. The waterways and trap is smaller and completely different design. You need a pressure assist tank or a new toilet.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was worried about. I’m confused as to why the product says it will work and everything actually fits like it’ll work.

I called a plumber that’ll come out Tuesday. Probably going to pay him to tell me exactly what you’ve just told me.

Thanks for the reply. This is what I was worried about. I’m confused as to why the product says it will work and everything actually fits like it’ll work.

I called a plumber that’ll come out Tuesday. Probably going to pay him to tell me exactly what you’ve just told me.
If the plumber doesn’t tell you exactly what GReynolds told you then fire than plumber.

In fact, why waste your money ? I wouldn’t call the plumber out without a new sloan flushmate tank, parts to repair the old flushmate if possible to repair, or a new toilet.

I vote for a new toilet.

Latest posts

Back